Is alcohol harmful to the MB's surface?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I know it sounds too "newbie".. but is alcohol harmful to the MacBook's surface? I easily freak out on my new MB's dirty surface beside the trackpad and I currently don't have the time to go to the nearest Apple Store to buy the iKlear Cleaning kit. There are certain oil spots/dark areas near the trackpad and I really want to clean it.

Are there any effective improvised cleaners for the MacBook? Suggestions very much appreciated!:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Do not use alcohol on your MacBook. It will damage the plastic.

An Apple Genius told me the best thing to use for cleaning is a diluted mixture of dishwashing liquid and water. This works for both the body and the screen. Use a soft cotton cloth to apply and dry.

For tough stains on the keyboard area, get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

For what it's worth, I spent the money on the iKlear system and found it less effective than what the Genius told me.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
as caribiner23 stated stay away from alcohol it will damage it. I just wanted to give another tally towards "stay away from alcohol".

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
I don't really have tough stains.. it's just a sort of oil spot on the wrist area. I'll give the diluted soap mixture a try. Have you tried that? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
diluted soap will work well....make sure that your rag/cloth is not dripping wet for obvious reasons

i hear the magic eraser works wonders
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
The Magic Eraser hands down is the best cleaning method. Even pen marks were "magically erased". For the screen, I just use a warm wrung out cloth. A Q-Tip works exceptionally well for my keyboard, but not sure if it would be as helpful on a Macbook keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
My incase laptop case ended up staining the outer plastic on my white MacBook. I tried everything, including the soap solution described above, and nothing worked. It's also important to note that the Magic Eraser shouldn't be used on the outer plastic as it will scratch it.

I used rubbing alcohol as a last resort, and it did the trick. Every bit of the stain came out, and it didn't damage the finish at all.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Luckily I don't have stains on the outer case. But thanks for the help anyway, in case I get a stain on that area. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Luckily I don't have stains on the outer case. But thanks for the help anyway, in case I get a stain on that area. :D

Here are some words of advice. If you buy an incase black laptop case for a white MacBook, wash it inside out before you use it. The dye used on the soft material inside of the case will rub off on the MacBook, and will stain the outer shell. I didn't know until it was too late.

Just some friendly advice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
This thread is SO not what I thought when I saw "alcohol" and "on" in the thread title.

I mean, I'm just a college student. What am I supposed to think? :black:

Party + "Hey guys! Look at the crazy pics my computer can take!" + seeing how many people holding drinks you can fit into picture = brew on mac.

OP
rixx03
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This thread is SO not what I thought when I saw "alcohol" and "on" in the thread title.

I mean, I'm just a college student. What am I supposed to think? :black:

Party + "Hey guys! Look at the crazy pics my computer can take!" + seeing how many people holding drinks you can fit into picture = brew on mac.

Haha! You're not *just* a college student. Then what do you call me?

..I'm a high school student!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.