iPod wont sync

Reaction score
my 5th generation ipod wont update its music library any more. i just ordered a new headphone jack. and after i orderd it i tried to update my library but it didnt work. i tunes recognizes the ipod and everything but it just sits there giving me the color wheel ever few minutes and then i have to force quite out of itunes and eject the ipod from my desktop. has anyone run into this problem?

what im also wondering is should i chance restoring my ipod. im kind of scared to because if i do and it doesnt sync then i have a bricked ipod with no music on it. so if anyone has had the same problem as me and have tried a restore i would like to know the outcome for their ipod. thanks in advance

Reaction score
If you are concerned about losing the contents of your iPod when restoring it then you should have a 3rd Party App like Senuti in your toolbox.

With Senuti installed, you can move your songs etc from the iPod to your Mac without iTunes having to be involved in the process, or even launched at all.

I don't know what version of Mac OS you are using or which model Mac you have, but you should run Disc Utility and Repair/Verify Permissions and Repair/Verify your Hard Disc to maybe solve the updating problem between your iPod/Mac.

Here's another helpful link.

OP
T
Reaction score
thank you for the input. the problem is not that im afraid of losing anything completely because all my music on my ipod is on my computer as well. the reason im worried about restoring the ipod is because right now my ipod doesen't add new songs. if i were to restore my ipod and if that doesen't fix it then i have an ipod with NO songs on it as apposed to MOST songs but just no new ones.

if that program can add songs to my ipod then im okay i dont nessesarly need to use itunes to add music to my ipod.

as for my computer info: Im running a power mac G5 with OSX 10.4.9 and im running the most current version of itunes.

on a side note i also noticed that some songs on my ipod dont play. for example i tried to play "Around the world" by RHCP and it sat on the song for a while not playing and then just skipped to the next one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i am actually trying to fix a friends ipod right now. His has a similar problem. But his usb cable is faulty so I have to borrow someone elses before I can get down to restoring his

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
yea, better than no mp3 player. And if it does you can eventually get it all back. Why worry?

OP
T
Reaction score
wait what do you mean? right now i do have an mp3 player but if i restore it and it doesent fix it then i have no mp3 player.

also now im getting a message from itunes that says "could not sync ipod because it can not be read from or written to"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHZ coreduo 1G RAM
I just got my 80 gig in and four or five time during the sync it stopped and said could not sync ipod because it can not be read from or written to...

***! 400 bones for this? does anyone know what that is or how to get rid of that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
If it's a 5G iPod, then you probably purchased it within the last year, right? If there's an Apple Store near you, make an appointment at the genius bar (http://www.apple.com/retail) and they can help you diagnose it. If they can't resolve the trouble (and I can ensure you that part of their troubleshooting will involve performing a restore), then they'll replace it for you under AppleCare warranty.

For what it's worth, having been through three fourth-generation iPods, I wouldn't let the one-year complimentary AppleCare run out without extending it. These things get used and abused (no matter how move love you give them).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
You could also run a disk repair on the iPod itself. I believe Pulse was recommending running a disk repair on your Mac (not a bad idea at all), but if your iPod is Mac formatted, then I'd run a repair against that too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.