• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

ipod school

Z

zap2

my school just got some ipods so i was helping my teacher work with heres and she wanted to know can you plug an ipod into one windos computer then on another but put recorings on it from another windows computer, i said that i was not sure and she wanted to be able use her songs for the rest of the day so we did not risk it,help please~!!!! if it not clear what is wrong tell me and ill clear is up

Murlyn

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
If she plugs it into another computer then it'll basically replace what she has on her iPod with whatever is on that new computer, unless you are using hard drive mode, then you can drag and drop files onto it, but not songs.

D3v1L80Y

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Murlyn said:
If she plugs it into another computer then it'll basically replace what she has on her iPod with whatever is on that new computer, unless you are using hard drive mode, then you can drag and drop files onto it, but not songs.
You should be able to drag and drop songs onto the iPod using iTunes. iTunes is the same on PC as it is on Mac. Just be sure to set the iTunes iPod preference to "Manually manage songs and playlists". This way, the iPod's songlist will not change everytime you plug it into a different computer. I do this all the time as I use my iPod with both my eMac and my iBook. Also as was already said, be sure to enable disk use for the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
You can use multiple computers with one iPod, regardless of the OS:

Simply set the iPod to manually update the music, and have it not unmount automatically. Plug the iPod into one computer, drag library from the sidebar, into the iPod icon. Plug iPod into second computer, drag library from sidebar, into the iPod icon. Simple as....drag n' drop

Murlyn

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Thanks guys.. I just learned something new also :)