Ipod Format Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
My iPod was orginally formatted with a PC.

I plugged my iPod in to my Mac for the first time and it told me it can't update windows formatted ipods.

Anyway to format it to Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
My iPod was orginally formatted with a PC.

I plugged my iPod in to my Mac for the first time and it told me it can't update windows formatted ipods.

Anyway to format it to Mac?

not really. get your songs off your ipod if you have not already then you will have to restore the ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Restoring your iPod on your Mac will reformat it as a Mac iPod (HFS+ format).

Reaction score
This is exactly the same question I was going to ask. ****. So I can't do the old iPod rescue stuff to throw my tunes onto the Mac iTunes then? Is there an easy way to shift the iTunes library over to the Mac? Or am I going to have to re-rip all those freaking CDs again? I'd love to put my Library on my external drive to save space on the internal drive, but I'm not quite sure what I'd have to do for that (of course, I know I'd lose access to them when I wasn't home and hooked up to my external drive).

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thanks guys, worked like a charm =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is exactly the same question I was going to ask. ****. So I can't do the old iPod rescue stuff to throw my tunes onto the Mac iTunes then? Is there an easy way to shift the iTunes library over to the Mac? Or am I going to have to re-rip all those freaking CDs again? I'd love to put my Library on my external drive to save space on the internal drive, but I'm not quite sure what I'd have to do for that (of course, I know I'd lose access to them when I wasn't home and hooked up to my external drive).

Just copy the files to the external drive and then either leave them there or move to the Mac. Then just add them to the library. It's pretty simple really.

Reaction score
IPod Update Issue

I have a MAC formatted IPod and plugged it into a PC. It gave 2 messages, the first being updates available for the IPod.

The second was reformat.

I chose update first and now its stuck on the faint apple logo and wont do anything.

What happened?:radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The PC won't read a Mac formatted iPod since MS never included that capability. Plug the iPod back into a Mac and reformat it, then try again.

Reaction score
My iPod was due to arrive today, but didn't. :(

I am assuming that MacDrive on my PC will be able to read a Mac formatted ipod?

Reaction score
You should be right with it .... it's not too difficult a concept what you want to do. Post back if you get stuck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.