iPod Disconnect Problem

S

Steel02001

Ok, so I dont know what happened but all of a sudden, I connect my iPod and it updates briefly (but does update) then when iTunes says its done the iPod doesnt for a long time. Whats wrong with it.

OP
S

sonofapplepm

I usually have to eject mine from itunes menu before it says i can disconnect on the ipod screen. It's a 30gig 3rd gen. A little more info might be helpful.

EDIT: I guess should have said, before the do not disconnect sign reverts to the menu screen. Sorry for the confusion!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
hmm... my iPod (20GB 4Th Gen), never said i can discennect it... it just returns to menu.....

OP
J

Jefe3223

interesting, guys. If it has disappeared from your desktop and is no longer shown in itunes, I believe the manual says you can disconnect it (even if the "don't disconnect" sign is still on the ipod. I think someone should check this for me, though.

Edit: I was right on the disconnect thing. I don't recomend it, though. And DONT DO IT IF THE ICON IS STILL THERE IN ITUNES. This is bad (from what I hear). As for the slowness. You could try restarting your computer with the ipod in it. Then disconnecting it and trying it out. other than that, I'm out of ideas.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

if you could post more info about the problem your having we should be able to help you out a bit more... i know even if it does say dont disconnect and you have ejected it already..unplug it. The screen might hang for a bit but should return to main menu, if it doesnt then just re-start it and you should be good to go make sure all files copied and you on your way.

if what you tryin to get across in your message is that after you "update" which im guessing is adding more songs not actually updateing the firmware it doesnt do anything like disconnect...it shouldnt disconnect for you after updating...it should stay connected untill you tell it to disconnect.

use the eject button in itunes it's self or drag the ipod icon on your desktop to the trash, after about 10-15 seconds the ipod should go back to the main menu screen and your safe to disconnect

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i have a 3rd gen ipod and i have disconnected it many times when it " do not disconnect"...just not while in transfer and have never had any problems with my pod acting up or files not being copied over.

im kinda fresh out of ideas of things to try...the only thing else i can think of is to install linux on your pod and try to do the same operations like connect it...copy and then disconnect...see if its a firmware issue or something else...

OP
S

Steel02001

Its a brand new 4gb Mini, silver to be more detailed.

The iPod will say do not disconnect and never goes to the other screen, however, iTunes says it is done updating.

Thanks for all the help so far.

OP
I

iDVFH.

Steel02001 said:
Its a brand new 4gb Mini, silver to be more detailed.

The iPod will say do not disconnect and never goes to the other screen, however, iTunes says it is done updating.

Thanks for all the help so far.

The only time I've seen that is if you turned off auto-sync and you have to manually eject it.. (press the arrow next to it in iTunes or in your Finder)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.