• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPod 6G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Do you think Apple will announce a sixth generation iPod at WWDC, or just an updated 5G?

I think there will be a new 6G iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
im not sure - with the impending release of the iphone, I am not sure that they will want to bring a 6g ipod out because I imagined the next ipod to have the multitouch and to have a full interactive display to move away from the current wheel type.

I could be wrong and I guess we will find out in the next 8 days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I don't think they're updating the ipod at WWDC, especially since its a developer's conference. Personally I think the update will be of the iMac and MBP, most likely making them more environmentally friendly. But then again, this is apple and even their developers are passionate about their gadgets, so maybe a new iPod will be announced. I would like to see one which resembles the iPhone, just without all the fancy phone and internet features. Speaking of iPhone, when Jobs was asked about any new iPods at D5 he said something along the lines of the iPhone being the greatest iPod ever. So that could mean we won't see an update to the iPod for awhile. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that that's not true. I don't know about you but I can't afford $600 for an iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I'll vote for neither... where's that option?? I agree with what's already been said. No new Ipods are coming out until the iPhone is on its way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Agreed, need a nothing option. I think they'll do Leopard, iPhone, and probably laptop/iMac upgrades, but that's it. I'm hoping for a .Mac update, but probably not likely.

Reaction score
I just bought an ipod cos i wasn't bothered about an iphone. I am hoping big style for an iMac update at WWDC as we're about to buy one and i really want one asap, but want the next gen :)

But back on topic, I personally don't think there will be a next gen ipod for a while, as mentioned the iphone seems to be there for that. I could be wrong though having no real idea, just opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
I'm not sure what a new ipod would bring to the table anyway. Beyond a capacity increase, or possibly going to really high density flash for longer battery life, it's hard to see what they'd improve without making it something beyond a video / music device - and that describes the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, 8600M GT, iPod Classic 80Gb
I've heard that they are putting a 120gb HDD upgrade in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not sure what a new ipod would bring to the table anyway. Beyond a capacity increase, or possibly going to really high density flash for longer battery life, it's hard to see what they'd improve without making it something beyond a video / music device - and that describes the iPhone.

Think iPhone without the phone, bigger hard drive, similar touch interface, bigger screen (as in full screen), better battery....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Other than maybe more memory, since the drive with up to 250GB in that size are now in production, I don't think they'll do anything to the design.

A new iPod would be an indirect competitor with the new iPhone, just like the Mac Mini is for the Apple TV. They're not the same, but have similar enough features and price to cause some competition among the devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Think iPhone without the phone, bigger hard drive, similar touch interface, bigger screen (as in full screen), better battery....

That's basically what I postulated - more / faster / lower power / longer battery life. But nothing there would be revolutionary.

A bigger screen wouldn't be something I'd look for - I don't watch anything much on my ipod anyway, and I really don't think many do. It's pretty clear the iPhone is Apples next big thing. If they do it right and don't skewer or cripple various features like most phones do, they'll have plenty of customers for it. An ipod video / PDA / GPS / phone all in one would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I'd like to see them use the iPhone software for the next iPod...It'll be pretty darn cool :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.