iPod 5th generation and Apple Music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I have a 5th generation 32G iPod (2013) that I just reformatted. The iTunes app has been replaced by the Apple Music app.

When I select the Apple Music app a picture of a lady wearing a headset appears but the app itself never loads. The circular "loading" graphic just keeps going round and round and round and round . . . . . . and where it stops, nobody knows.

I'm assuming that the problem lies with the age of the iPod and its operating system of 9.3.5?

What can I do for my music?

Can I dump Apple Music and get back to iTunes? (Preferred)

Or is there some other fix?

In advance, thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're referring to an iPod Touch 5th generation. (exact model always helps)

Unfortunately your model Touch is already at the highest version of iOS it can go (9.3.5).

Can I dump Apple Music and get back to iTunes?

No, not unless you go back to Mojave. The "Music" app was introduced with Catalina and replaced iTunes.

Are you sure your Touch is not being recognized by the "Music" app? I have no problem using it for both of my iPhones and iPad Pro.

How did you reformat the Touch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I was using Music with my daughters old iPhone 6, which had iOS 9 also. There is an update to iOS 9.3.6, which may allow compatibility?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I was using Music with my daughters old iPhone 6, which had iOS 9 also. There is an update to iOS 9.3.6, which may allow compatibility?

The upgrade screen states 9.3.5 is the latest.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
You're referring to an iPod Touch 5th generation. (exact model always helps)

Unfortunately your model Touch is already at the highest version of iOS it can go (9.3.5).

No, not unless you go back to Mojave. The "Music" app was introduced with Catalina and replaced iTunes.

Are you sure your Touch is not being recognized by the "Music" app? I have no problem using it for both of my iPhones and iPad Pro.

How did you reformat the Touch?

My iMac is currently running Mojave. The music app on the iMac is iTunes and not Apple Music.

The reformat of the iPod Touch by my iMac rendered Apple Music.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay... I thought you were referring to the new "Music" which replaced iTunes and was introduced with Catalina.

Someone else will try to answer your question about the music.app and going back to iTunes.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Well actually, and I'm at a loss of what's going on here, but now the system works OK. I had the iPod off for 90 minutes or so and when I turned the iPod back on the Music app works OK.

So one of you "posters" fixed it for me!! Good work!!

I wish I knew what the heck is going on, but maybe I'm better off not knowing.

Anyway, thanks the responses given.

If anyone has an idea of what actually occurred to fix this issue I actually would like to know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.