iPhoto library

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to back up my photos to Livedrive cloud but am having issues.

I assumed that all my photos would be stored in iPhoto library but I have a feeling that I messed this up a few years ago when I managed to 'lose' all my photos but then recovered them somehow. I'd just move them somewhere. However, in Finder iPhoto Library size shows as zero. How could I find where they are being stored so that I can back them up to Livedrive? I've tried dragging them from iPhoto but it is just backing up like this for each photo:

IMG_0791.JPG
._IMG_0791.JPG

The top one shows as 0KB and the bottom one 4.1 KB

Grateful of any assistance. Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iPhoto consolidates all of your photos into a single database that it manages. In this way, you needn't be concerned about the filesystem and what directories they sit in and how they're structured.

I'm not sure why you would have lost and regained your library without some kind of extraordinary manipulation of the machine (or possibly renaming your Home folder). But if you want to copy it to Livedrive, you should just be able to copy the following file to it:

Macintosh HD > Users > {your home folder} > Pictures > iPhoto Library

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks. Why would the iPhoto Library not show a size in Finder? iPhoto sits in applications at the moment. I must have inadvertently moved it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks. Why would the iPhoto Library not show a size in Finder? iPhoto sits in applications at the moment. I must have inadvertently moved it.

You're probably looking at iPhoto.app (the actual program). Your iPhoto Library should live in the directory I mentioned. When you right click on it and click 'Get Info', it should give you the total size.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.