iPhoto issue importing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.33Ghz 2Mb RAM 250GHD
Hi There - I'm a switcher just coming to terms with the iMac 24" and PSE4 - previously used PSE3 on PC.

All looks to be OK but I'm wondering should iPhoto recognise .PSD files? It didn't look like it so I saved as .JPG and still no luck importing. I get this message about them being an unreadable file type - JPG and PSD.

Sorry for the annoying questions that will inevitably follow and thanks.

Shane.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Hi and welcome to the forums Shane.
According to the book iPhoto 6 the missing manual. iPhoto should have no problem with Photoshop files. Can you tell me how you are trying to import the files. ...In the meantime I'll go and try myself to see what happens :wink:

EDIT:
I took a PSD file from my PC (The only place I have PS) and transferred it via an SD card. I went to the file menu in iPhoto and just pressed import to library and pointed to where the file was. Worked just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Picture1-1.png

This picture of the info pane may help does yours look the same ?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi - thanks for the reply. The file was created on the iMac using the newly downloaded PSE4. Created image in PSE4, saved it as a .JPG and as a .PSD. Then went to iPhoto to import them as an experiment to the library and i got the unreadable message on both!

Must say, as a PC switcher this is not the sort of thing I thought happened with Macs!

Thanks again,
Shane.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK - got them in... but soemthig I don't understand... I had to drag my newly created files onto the desktop before i could import them... I then moved them from the desktop to trash. Seems convoluted or is it something you just get used to.

Thanks again (and again, and again...) Shane!:bone:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I can't answer about the import method. At least you did it. I had to import my PSD file from a card as I haven't PS on my Mac. Maybe someone else can explain the mechanics as it were. :)

I think it may be a PS issue and not the Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure either - the message said something about it being unreadable and mentioned something about it being in the iPhoto folder/file... that's what prompted me to move it out of where it had saved and hey presto!

Anyway, Thanks oh kilted one.

Shane.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.