iphoto help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Hi! I hope I'm in the right forum. I am operating OS X 10.8.5. I recently tried using Time Machine to back up my stuff to an ED. I didn't have enough free space so I googled what files were safe to trash. I removed some of them to try and make more room on my ED. I hate a lot in my trash so I deleted it all. I don't know why I would trash my iphoto library because I know I need that but I can't find it anywhere on my computer or ED.
When I right click on iphoto in the dock and click on iphoto library nothing happens.
I hope somebody can tell me I haven't permanently deleted my library and where it might be.
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iPhoto library should be here:

Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Pictures/iPhoto Library/

If it's not there, restore it from your latest Time Machine backup.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6.8
Thank you for your reply! I have looked under pictures and there's nothing there.
How do I restore it from the last Time Machine backup?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Time Machine and select a date from the right side that shows a backup. When you select the backup it will open in a Finder like view. Go to the iPhoto Library, right click on it and select "restore". It will ask where you want to restore it and at the same time open a Finder dialog. Go to where the library should be, select that location, and then select restore. Close Time Machine and check to see if your iPhoto library was restored properly.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6.8
I don't see any dates on the right when I open Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
you should see a timeline on the far right hand side of your screen - starting with now and then going back in increments

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.6.8
No, I don't see a timeline at all. But I think I figured out that I deleted my iphoto library into the trash and emptied it. Is there a free data recovery program I can download to recover all the deleted files from teh trash? Or do they all cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
if you can't see any sort of timeline then I don't think you have TM set up at all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.