iPhoto displays acting up

Reaction score
All of a sudden when I open my iPhoto it opens to a single photo full screen. Pressing escape does not minimize the screen and I cannot get back to the display where all the thumbnails are shown which makes it impossible to open a specific photo for editing. I have looked at preferences and other settings but cannot seem to correct the problem. Any thoughts?

Thank you

poppi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think you may have iPhoto set to open in full screen. Place your mouse cursor slowly toward the top of the screen and the menu should appear. From there you can select going back to the normal screen view.

OP
P
Reaction score
I think you may have iPhoto set to open in full screen. Place your mouse cursor slowly toward the top of the screen and the menu should appear. From there you can select going back to the normal screen view.

Tried this but it did not work. I am familiar with he effect you suggest - in "normal" full screen sliding to the top presents a menu and to the bottom shows icons like rotate, crop, zoom etc, but that is nor working. If I click on the edit icon at the bottom I can advance through the photos but pressing escape does not return me to the thumbnails.

Thank you

poppi

C

chas_m

Let's try backing up a bit. When you see this single photo in full screen, is the menubar present at the very top (not iPhoto's commands, I mean the system menubar with the Apple menu on the far left and such).

OP
P
Reaction score
Let's try backing up a bit. When you see this single photo in full screen, is the menubar present at the very top (not iPhoto's commands, I mean the system menu bar with the Apple menu on the far left and such).

There are a few scenarios. 1) When I click on an iPhoto file (e.g. Last Import) the last photo viewed appears in full screen and the menu bar across the top has the Apple icon plus iPhoto, File, Edit, Photos, Events, Share, View, Window, and Help. None of the usuals like Finder are there. Across the bottom I see Split, Edit, Rotate, Hide, Flag, Book, Calendar, Card, Mobile Me, Print, and Order Prints. 2) If I click the Edit icon (pencil) the photo expands slightly, the same icons are shown at the top but at the bottom they are changed to editing icons (Rotate, Crop, etc). Also, when in this "edit" mode I can use the keyboard arrows to move fo photo to photo. When I press escape the photo does NOT return to the thumbnails. Don't know if any of this makes any sense

poppi

C

chas_m

It makes sense, but of course we can't see it so we have to ask questions to clarify that we're sure we're on the same page as you. So you're right, you're not in Full Screen mode.

But I am wondering why clicking on "Events" in the sidebar to your left isn't getting you back to where you want to go. In my copy of iPhoto, there's always a sidebar there that I can click on to go back. When I'm in "edit" mode editing a photo, there is also a black back-pointing shape with the name of the event or album I chose the photo from, and clicking on that takes me back to that album or event. Does that not happen when you do it?

iPhoto-going-back.jpg

OP
P
Reaction score
It makes sense, but of course we can't see it so we have to ask questions to clarify that we're sure we're on the same page as you. So you're right, you're not in Full Screen mode.

But I am wondering why clicking on "Events" in the sidebar to your left isn't getting you back to where you want to go. In my copy of iPhoto, there's always a sidebar there that I can click on to go back. When I'm in "edit" mode editing a photo, there is also a black back-pointing shape with the name of the event or album I chose the photo from, and clicking on that takes me back to that album or event. Does that not happen when you do it?

View attachment 23617
Now I am really confused. Shortly after writing my latest input I clicked the arrow at the bottom of the screen and the screen reverted to thumbnails. Now everything is behaving as it always has. No idea why this has happened.A complete mystery.

Thank you to all who tried to help

poppi

C

chas_m

I suspect you're using a fairly old version of iPhoto, but I'm glad you got it sorted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.