Iphoto album to photos?

Reaction score
Greetings,
I have not been on here often or lately, forgive me if I am in the wrong place.
Not a geek, need elementary help.
There are no Apple stores or genius bars in Belize, wish there were.
Long story short.
I have a 2017 Macbook Pro, running Mojave 10.14.6
It has Photos
I have thousands of photos stored on 2 external and 6 old Mac hard drives from crashed laptops.
My Seagate hard drive has Iphotos stored on it but it has a "Bar Icon" though it, as in Nope, no good.
When i try to import it it directs me to update it free at Apple store.
There I get a prompt that it is not available in my country?
I have spent untold thousands on Macs, not fair!
Thanks in advance, must be someone else quarantined and bored, can anyone help me?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Aren't you able to copy the photos off those drives? And, I recommend that if you do copy them, use DVDs to store them on. Much safer than hard drives which will fail at some time or another.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi Chscag,
I am pretty ignorant, up to now I have just backed stuff up.
When I go to the Seagate in finder I can only find the photos i exported to post on facebook or email, and the Iphoto album itself. this one has 9,000 photos in it while there are only 7-800 that were exported.
I would like them all.
Thank you for replying.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Hi ferrar,
followed the directions, sharing & permissions telling me I have custom access? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Hi ferrar,
followed the directions, sharing & permissions telling me I have custom access? Thanks

Can you read from the drive now? You don’t need to be able to write to it, unless you want to save more files/data on it?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
B
Reaction score
Update,
I managed to get 12,000 photos onto a photostick by just dragging the iphoto and photo albums to it.
The 128 GB stick is now 87% full.
This is a mystery because photostick is supposed to consolidate them. eliminate duplicates...
It said it had 79,000 photos?
Yet when imported them to photos only the 14,000 transferred with the 3,000 pix already in there photos is telling me 61 GB.
Bewildered, now have 87% full photostick and another external 500 GB and 6 mac hard drives to go.
Of course there are other files on there, but still
I think I am already missing a lot of pix, discarding nothing until I get back to civilization if i get no help.
They are going on a solid state 1 terabyte drive.
I am hoping i can dump what's on the stick and extract the rest.
Will update further, thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I strongly recommend not storing valuable photos on any kind of hard drive whether a spinner or SSD. They're your photos of course to do what you wish, but if you do decide to keep them on a 1 TB drive, make sure they are backed up to somewhere else.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi chsgag,
The photos are on a Seagate External.
That got full due to much duplication, put more on a Hitachi SS drive.
Now i am putting them on a photostick, which is full due to duplication I guess?
This is weird because that is what it was supposed to eliminate, the number of files and the GB do not add up.
I have many thousands of duplicate graphics files, have no idea why the externals import them.
Real PITA weeding them out every time i have to get a new Mac.
This is often, I am not fond of macs, very undependable, just hooked on their OS's.
Then there is all the original hard drives I saved from the crashed macs.
So now there are all the original HD's, of which only one died.
Then there are the 2 externals, and the photostick.
I am trying to consolidate all and eliminate duplicates which I never had time for until the quarantine.
So I have duplicates on the original HD's, the 2 externals, the photostick now, when does the redundancy stop?
Macs crash in the salt air environment on this island in about a year.
It is always a new problem, no consistency.
It is my humble opinion that they rush things to market without proper field testing.
Thanks for the help all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi chsgag,
The photos are on a Seagate External.
trying to delete this duplicate post? I have a lot of issues with duplication!
That got full due to much duplication, put more on a Hitachi SS drive.
Now i am putting them on a photostick, which is full due to duplication I guess?
This is weird because that is what it was supposed to eliminate, the number of files and the GB do not add up.
I have many thousands of duplicate graphics files, have no idea why the externals import them.
Real PITA weeding them out every time i have to get a new Mac.
This is often, I am not fond of macs, very undependable, just hooked on their OS's.
Then there is all the original hard drives I saved from the crashed macs.
So now there are all the original HD's, of which only one died.
Then there are the 2 externals, and the photostick.
I am trying to consolidate all and eliminate duplicates which I never had time for until the quarantine.
So I have duplicates on the original HD's, the 2 externals, the photostick now, when does the redundancy stop?
Macs crash in the salt air environment on this island in about a year.
It is always a new problem, no consistency.
It is my humble opinion that they rush things to market without proper field testing.
Thanks for the help all.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.