IPhoto 6.06 “quit unexpectantly” problem

Reaction score
IPhoto 6.06 “quit unexpectantly” problem

Running OS 10.4.9
I dragged some jpegs into iphoto for import
The jpegs were dated 2002 and named tom001.jpg etc.
While importing they caused iphoto to unexpectantly quit
When iPhoto is relaunched it begins to load photos and quits after 15 seconds
Seems like it may still be trying to import
I have deleted out of the library (thumbnails and originals) the photos that were imported
I have tried rebuilding the database but iPhoto continues to quit
I have rebuilt the thumbnails (long and short version)
I have used disk utility to repair disk permissions
I have tried all of the below from this apple support link

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107947

HELP

Thanks in advance D Wells

M

MacHeadCase

Hi Dwells and welcome to Mac-Forums!

Have you tried trashing the pref file and restarting?

The path to the file is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.iPhoto.plist

Just drag that plist file into your trash, don't empty it right away. Restart an try launching iPhoto again and see what happens. Report back with your findings, please.

Good luck! :girl:

OP
D
Reaction score
Trashed file (not emptied), restarted computer, relaunch iphoto, started up as if opening the app for the first time and then quit.

M

MacHeadCase

Ok does this behaviour happen only with one photo or many others?

It could be a corrupted .jpg file, is what I'm thinking.

OP
D
Reaction score
Upon launch I see a photo that was not imported always the same photo.

I trashed the imported photos in the library diring the import of these hotos is when the problem started.
The photo I see breifly on launch is from a camera download a week ago. the problem started yesterday when I dragged from a folder old photos to add to the library.

M

MacHeadCase

Ok do this: create a new user account. log in to that new account, re-import the photos from scratch in that new account and see if iPhoto is more stable in that account than in your old one.

OP
D
Reaction score
Imported 20 photos from library as I have a (complete) experiment library on external hardrive. Did not have access to photos that originally caused the problem as they are under reqular user name on internal drive. iphoto behaves fine after import. will transfer old photos to external and import (photos that caused problem.)

OP
D
Reaction score
I now have imported suspect photos into the alternative user. I have imported the photos that have caused the problem. Works great. Able to close and open iphoto. What next. Very much appreciate your help!

M

MacHeadCase

Ok now go back to your old account. Download MainMenu, install it and run the Cleaning -> Clean User Cache -> User Cache... task.

And you'll want to run the Cleaning -> Clean System Cache -> Deep Clean... task as well. For good measure, drag the iPhoto plist file back to the trash again (it has recreated itself, you'll see).

Restart (don't worry if you find the restart is longer than usual — the system is only rebuilding its cache files from scratch, that's why it's longer than normal). Log into your old account and try using iPhoto again. See if it is fixed.

M

MacHeadCase

Ok let us know if this works now...

Up to now, we now know the problem lies with your old account only, not all across the system. I hope it's something that is corrupted in your user cache or the part of the system that interacts with your old user account. MainMenu will clean the corrupted parts away and you should be ok from now on if this is the case.

OP
D
Reaction score
Went back to original library (internal power book drive). Opened iphoto. Worked well. Roll numbers were not there. Quit and put back old preferences file from trash the preferences folder. Reopened iphoto ask to rebuild thumbnails. Doing this now.
Will my roll names reappear? 25,000 photos in this crazy library. Great app. main menu. Wow. Will report back on result. Any thoughts on photo program that is more robust. Maybe aperture?

M

MacHeadCase

I don't like iPhoto at all (easy to duplicate files all over and it's limited in its usage) so never use myself. I just use either Photoshop or Canon's Digital Photo Professional to tweak and convert my RAW files, edit them or whatever I need.

For viewing I use CocoViewX.

It all depends on what you need. Plenty of members here will tell you they like using GIMP, Seashore, ImageWell, etc.

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe you simply need to reimport your photos? Not sure since I don't use it but under File -> Import photos and navigate to your folders (should be in your user account, in the Photos folder -> iPhoto folder.

Did you move your photos folder for the new account? Maybe that's what is mixing up iPhoto at the moment, the app can't find the photos where they were before.

OP
D
Reaction score
If this works should I rebuild the database in iphoto?
How often and what component of mainmenu do you use as a weekly or monthy house keeping?

M

MacHeadCase

Another thing you should do is buy yourself a good sized external hard drive and backup your stuff, man. You never know when a bad thing will happen like for instance the internal hard drive failure or something horrendous like that.

I burn on DVD all my photos and take them off my internal hard drive, never keep them on my Mac unless I need to tweak them or work on them.

M

MacHeadCase

My partner uses iPhoto and says that rebuilding the thumbnail is going to take a very long time: depending on the number of photos it can take up to a day.

We can't see where this rebuilding database in iPhoto is. Unless you are talking about MainMenu?

And in MainMenu there are, as you have seen daily, weekly and monthly tasks. What I do is the first thing in the morning when I fire up the iMac, I run the daily task, Saturdays are for the daily task AND the weekly task and once a month I will add to that list the monthly task.

Edited to add:

I've been told that you NOT STOP iPhoto from rebuilding the thumbnails now that this is underway otherwise it might bugger it up again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.