iPhone XS Volume issue What Did I Miss?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have an iPhone XS running the most recent IOS beta which I installed earlier today. Everything has worked wonderfully until a couple of days ago. When I get a phone call I can barely hear the person on the other end of the conversation.

Earlier this morning I noticed that the problem extends to the volume level on the ringer. Normally the ringer is loud enough that I can hear it without being in the same room with my phone. Today I barely heard it from a few feet away even though the settings appear to have the volume appears to be set loud enough where that shouldn't be an issue (probably at about 75% right now).

Here's what I've noticed:
1, The problem seems to cross the last couple of software versions.
2. It seems to affect every contact.
3. Attempting to adjust call volume during a call does not seem to have much if any effect.
4. Restarting the software doesn't seem to have an effect though I plan to try that again. I plan to try that again.
5, I've checked every sound and accessibility setting I can think of with no change.
6. I don't know if this matters but if my mom calls from her land line my phone rings. Calls from her cell phone go straight to voicemail although neither number s blocked.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Sly

One thing that might work is to Reset Settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings)

Although this does not affect your apps or data, it is a real hassle getting all the settings back to the way you like them.

Perhaps you should wait for a more intelligent suggestion:)

Ian

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Ian

I've had to do that once before for something. You're right it's a pain to do that but I may try it soon if other things fail. There are two other things that i thought of that I need to check:

1.Is the speaker working properly on things like music videos/youtube? I think it's ok there but I don't remember actually testing this since I noticed the problem.
2. Is the sound at a good volume if I use the speakerphone option? I'm pretty sure haven't checked this recently. It's not a feature I use often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.