iPhone XS Max caller can’t hear me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Has anyone heard anything like this?

I was talking to my friend and all of a sudden she could not hear me but I could hear her. I could hear my voice echoing back to me when I tried to talk to her.

So my tech background kicked in and I did a hard reset. Then I reset my network settings, reset the carrier settings, and reset service settings. Nothing worked.

So I called my carrier - Sprint. After working through the same troubleshooting stuff with them plus they reset my settings on their end, I still had the problem. So, they are sending me a new iPhone.

I am playing with resetting it back to factory just to see what that does.

One thing I noticed. I have updated my iPhone to iOS 13.4 and my husbands is still on 13.3.1 and it is working fine.
I wonder hum....

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Pretty good service by Sprint. Maybe that merger with T-Mobile helped. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is suspect a hardware failure of the mic, nothing in the OS. If it were the OS, the screams from users would be deafening.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update -

I did a Reset All Settings and now it is working. I really did not want to do the reset all as you have to setup Wallet again plus all the other settings. But it is working and so is the watch which also reset.

My husband has been my test subject using his iPhone 11. He hasn’t talked that much to me over his phone in our whole marriage! (He hates talking on the phone!).

Anyway, the question now... do I send the phone Sprint is sending me back and keep mine or keep the Sprint phone and send mine back?

I am sure the one coming is a refurbised. Plus I have AppleCare + on my current phone which I bought directly from Apple - phone and AppleCare. It expires 9/20/2020. Will this new phone come with at least a year of apple care because I do not imagine the one on my current phone will transfer. I know I can get a refund on my current AppleCare if I call apple. Dilemmas and decisions - Oh My!!!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Surprised by that, Lisa. Wonder what setting it was that mucked up the microphone? No way to know, but it is curious.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What I don't understand is why Sprint would even send you another phone when you didn't buy the original from them? If the phone you purchased from Apple is now working okay, I would not accept the one from Sprint.

I've bought phones from T-Mobile before (bill credit every month) and I know they warranted the phone for 1 year. However, every phone I purchased in the last 5 years or so, I purchased direct from Apple and bought Apple Care. There is no way that T-Mobile would replace a defective phone that I purchased from Apple unless I paid T-Mobile for it.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag-

I was wondering why they would replace an Apple purchased phone too? She didn’t ask and I didn’t think of it until I hung up. Sprints techs are working from home. I asked and she told me. I wonder if that made a difference like they have more latitude? I asked what it would cost me and she said it would be free.

Okay - I just got the confirmation email for the return. It seems if there is any external damage to the phone or if they find no problems with the phone I could be charged $75-$125. Plus the replacement phone is on back order! Imagine that!!! So I will call Sprint and tell them I seem to have fixed it.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just to keep the humour going in these dark times:

Lisa said:
He hasn’t talked that much to me over his phone in our whole marriage!

Can't get a word in edgeways, perhaps?:smile:wink

Ian

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey! He is the talker in our relationship. NOT ME! But face to face is his preferred method. I am a professional listener!

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You are a good person, Lisa. We have to laugh together.:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Are you sure you didn't press the mute icon accidentally? Happened to me several times.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are a good person, Lisa. We have to laugh together.:)

Ian

Yes, we do! I know the comments are all in good fun. I enjoy the banter and hope everyone realizes I never am offended or mean to offend anyone. I love this forum and appreciate the help you all have provided over the years.

And Sue: No not a mute button issue. I could actually hear myself talking through the upper speaker. I tried mute, unmute, AirPods, speaker phone... And all the other things I posted above. Wipe and resetting it up finally worked. So far today I have made several phone calls with no issues. That includes a 40 minute call to Sprint to cancel the new phone only to be told that it has been shipped. Weird since their email said it was on back order. Oh well, I will send it back.

Thanks everyone for the advice! With what all is going on today losing my phone was interesting a level of stress I did not see coming.

Lisa

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update to my cellphone saga. The issue did not go away. After the third time of having people no longer able to hear me plus wiping my phone back to setting it up as new but not fixing the issue, I called Apple. They sent me a replacement phone. Before it came I did one more wipe and set it up as new then put in the numbers that force a service update - four times - and it was working. I was debating cancelling the replacement but my husband informed me I had better send it back as I guess I just might have become a bit difficult to live with during my phone issues.

Plus side - my old phone had an 85% batter health and the replacement is 100% healthy. AND people can hear me consistently now!

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Plus side - my old phone had an 85% batter health and the replacement is 100% healthy. AND people can hear me consistently now!

Is this the same sort of thing...??? :Smirk:
Jimmy Cliff - I Can See Clearly Now (Official Video)
YouTube

- Patrick
======

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.