iPhone X Battery Replacement at Apple Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
I am one of the lucky few out there that has an Apple store truly within walking distance of my home (1 mile/1.6 KM). Before leaving home, I checked their website for when I could schedule an appointment there and it was over a weeks' wait. Since my wife needed to visit a store at the mall I decided to go with her and swing by the store to see if I could get an earlier appointment.

I waited for about 5 minutes for a tech to approach me, I asked when I could get in to get a battery replacement performed and he told me the same thing I saw online, "It'll be about a week", he said. I then nicely told the tech that I'd just buy a battery from I-Fixit and just do it myself and that would be faster than waiting a week.

As I thanked him and started to walk away, another tech standing next to him who was 'buried' in his iPad, said "What a minute, sir". He then came up to me and asked "Can you wait about 10 minutes to see someone inside about this?" I said "sure!", I then moved to another line, and in about 2 minutes my name was called out...I went inside the store, waited about 1 minute for another tech, explained my problem...he wiped my phone down, ran a test on my battery, looked at another setting on. my phone here and there....and said "It'll be about 30 minutes and we can replace this battery for you". I smiled, left the store, enjoyed a Chick-Fil-A sandwich with my wife and 45 minutes later was walking out of the Apple store with a brand new battery in my iPhone!

Now I cannot honestly tell you that using this approach (and yes, I have replaced 4 iPhone batteries, 2 batteries in my MacBook Air in the past so I have all the tools needed do that); but I am guessing they either didn't want to lose a sale; or did not wasn't to not take care of a customer who has bought a ton of Apple gear there over the years; or even possibly the young tech spotted an appointment cancellation the other tech didn't see.

I am happy that my weak battery was replaced by my local Apple store yesterday and I will continue to support them as some of my aging equipment will eventually need replacement over the next couple of years.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My local store is a bit further away than yours (4 miles) and they are currently not accepting appointments. I had my battery replaced at Best Buy who are authorized Apple resellers and repair service. They charged the same as the Apple Store and did a good job.

However, I would definitely not recommend Best Buy for any major repairs on Apple equipment. :)

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
My local store is a bit further away than yours (4 miles) and they are currently not accepting appointments. I had my battery replaced at Best Buy who are authorized Apple resellers and repair service. They charged the same as the Apple Store and did a good job.

However, I would definitely not recommend Best Buy for any major repairs on Apple equipment. :)

My Apple store just recently reopened maybe 2 weeks ago after being closed up for several months. The way this Covid is going upwards again, I wouldn't doubt if it closes down again fairly soon. But thanks for the reply....I did not know that Best Buy cold have done that.....heck, they are 0.3 of a mile closer than the Apple store! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.