iPhone Wallet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I updated my iPhone a few weeks ago to 17.0, and all seemed well, however first time I came to used Apple Pay, it wouldn't work, and realised my credit card was no longer in Wallet. A quick add previous cards, checks and balances and the card was back and working, so, what is the issue:
When I had previously used Apple Pay, I would get a notification of the amount paid and to whom, which on a night out was handy, as I could do a quick check before leaving the premises that I had not been "ripped off" (or error ;)), but now no notifications. Been through the various setting and notifications and all the switches seem to be in the correct place, so have other had the problem, have you fixed it, and if how, advice is always appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Upgrading the OS wipes out the wallet, and the cards need to be added in again. Been that way for as long as Wallet has been around.

I am pretty sure that I've never gotten any notification from Wallet, or Apple, when I used Apple Pay. I do get a notification from my credit cards that I use Wallet to pay, but that is a setting for the account at the credit institution, not Apple. If you find a way to make that happen, please post it here.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I believe that's true that the cards don't transfer across phones restored from backups, but I don't believe it goes away on OS upgrades. I upgraded my current phone to iOS 17 and all of my cards were there before and after.

As far as notifications go, they are not consistent. I do get notifications from Apple Card and AmEx. However, I also have a Discover and VISA on there and I don't get anything there. I predominantly use the AmEx with the card itself at restaurants (that's my card for it) and once swiped, I get the notification on my phone. I've used the VISA card both through the card and Apple Pay and neither of those cases yields a notification.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that's true that the cards don't transfer across phones restored from backups, but I don't believe it goes away on OS upgrades. I upgraded my current phone to iOS 17 and all of my cards were there before and after.

As far as notifications go, they are not consistent. I do get notifications from Apple Card and AmEx. However, I also have a Discover and VISA on there and I don't get anything there. I predominantly use the AmEx with the card itself at restaurants (that's my card for it) and once swiped, I get the notification on my phone. I've used the VISA card both through the card and Apple Pay and neither of those cases yields a notification.
Now that I consider it, the cards do survive upgrades, but not new phones or full reinstalls, which is logical. Otherwise a security hole would be for a phone thief to just install the OS again to get to the cards.

I get notifications on my cards from the various banks/cc companies, but not from Wallet or ApplePay itself, afaik. I have Amex, Visa, and MC cards, and all three send me text messages that then trigger a notification for me, but nothing direct from Apple.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So my notifications on the phone were the bar at the bottom of the screen, just informing what I had just spent, on my card via Apple pay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never seen it happen. Would be nice, I think, but never happened for me.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I get that notification on my Watch if I make a purchase via Tap & Go but maybe it's bank specific.

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get that notification on my Watch if I make a purchase via Tap & Go but maybe it's bank specific.
My Apple pay Card is MBNA Visa, but as I say before the update I always got the notification banner, now I don't, even though I have ensured notification are switched on. guess I will just have to live with it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jim B. My card is also MBNA Visa. Understandably, I had to remove then re-add that card when I got the new iPhone 15 Pro. The card was “transferred” from old to new iPhone, but was useless ie non-functional.

Had to phone MBNA and they told me what to do after confirming my true identity - which I think is a very sensible security idea.

Ian

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.