iPhone usable storage...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I have an iPhone 5c. Yes, I know it's an older model but for reasons I'd like to keep using it a while longer. This iPhone 5c has a 12GB capacity. Yesterday, I fixed another, unrelated problem and then backed it up right after on iTunes when I finished, using my iMac. After the backup was finished, iTunes said it has 2.45 GB free however, when I go into my iPhone General->Storage, it says I only have 283.7 MB available/free. Now, which to believe? Shouldn't these two things say the same thing? I don't understand this discrepancy?

Thanks for elucidating me,

Bob M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something doesn't sound right about your 5c storage. I owned two of them at one time and I know they only came with 16GB or 32GB storage not 12GB. It's very likely that the storage shown by the phone is correct and that's what you should go by. I never go by what iTunes shows for any of my iPhones that I have owned and still own.

The phone is taking into account what space iOS is using and I suspect that iTunes does not.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, of course, you're right my iPhone 5c came with 16GB but I'm assuming that as I only seem to have access to about 12GB, the other portion is taken up with housekeeping, IOS, etc.
I have been assuming my iPhone's readout is the more correct figure of storage availability - I just wondered why these two indicators didn't coincide better.
Thanks for your reply.

Bob M.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's true in my case. As most folks here have iPhones, it's easy to find out if any others have this same discrepancy of available storage between their phone and iTunes. If not, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I have no idea either way. All these phones and other products have errors/anomolies that they (Apple) are correcting over time. Maybe they just need to be alerted to a problem before action occurs.

Bob M.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.