iphone Sync after formatting macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white macbook
sorry if this topic has been discussed before! i've had no luck searching all day for a solution.

yesterday i backed up all of my personal files on to an external HD, and also synced my iphone. after that i used my original system OS install discs to refresh my macbook. i chose to erase all existing data and install fresh. the whole idea was to reduce the clutter that's built up and to change the name of the root user since i got the computer second-hand.

so i made an oversight, because now when i go to sync my iphone to the computer i'm afraid it's going to delete all of my contacts in the process (atleast i know it will do this to all the music files if i sync) just because the computer and phone don't recognize their relationship anymore.

is there any way i can sync again without losing my contact info on my phone? maybe i can somehow back the phone up as is before sync? i'm lost on this..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Calendars and Contacts are synced in both directions.

Since this will be the first time you sync in the newly installed OS, it will ask whether you want to merge data, replace data, or replace the data on your computer. After that, it will sync according to the way you set it up this first time.

See here for more info:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white macbook
phew really?

thanks for your help.

would i want to choose merge data so as to preserve all of my contacts?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have only done it once, but merge is what I chose the last clean install I did. Been quite a few months back now and had all of my contacts (maybe 150-200) transfer to my Mac with no problem.

That way you can make changes on your computer or your phone and the changes will be made to the other with the next sync.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.