iPhone SE won't charge after battery replacement.

Reaction score
My old faithful SE started losing charge very quickly, having to charge it twice a day so I have just put a new battery in it but it won't charge.
Whether on or off it just stays at 13%. I put the old battery back in but it also will not now charge above 13%. It recognises that the charger is attached but when I go to Battery Perfromance I just get the spinning wheel and no % appears??
Seems I have somehow upset the charging circuit but I can't see how as the procedure is pretty simple.

Any suggestions would be appreciated............

IMG_7955 2.jpg

IMG_7956 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7956 2.jpg
    IMG_7956 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reaction score
My ancient iPhone 5s won't show the correct charge (except when it feels like it). Is it possible that you are getting a charge, but the phone is not accurately reflecting it in the %?

OP
C
Reaction score
I just unplugged the power cable and it very quickly went down to 9%.
Another thing, it just turns itself off after a couple of minutes and I have to press the "ON" button to bring it back on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the charging circuitry is not working correctly (which you probably already suspected). It may be possible to have it repaired at a local repair shop that works on iPhones. However, you do need to consider the cost before having that done.

It may be possible to buy another original SE second hand at a modest cost. However, buying an iPhone of any vintage second hand can be risky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My old faithful SE started losing charge very quickly, having to charge it twice a day so I have just put a new battery in it but it won't charge.

Can you contact the place where you got the new battery from and see if they have any idea or suggestions...???

- Patrick
=======

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes guys, I have contacted the supplier and they are sending a replacement but if I've inadvertently knackered the charging circuit, not sure how that would happen, then the phone is caput!. They say it's symptomatic of a damaged ribbon cable, which I could believe, they're very tiny and flimsy.

Indeed a cheap second hand one might do the trick but it's my 82nd next week and hints have been dropped in all the right places ?

OP
C
Reaction score
Just an update, received a second battery sandpit it in but no change. When put in it showed 8% and after a couple of hours again showed 13%.
Also in opening the phone this time I pulled the cable off the Touch ID button so guess I';lll birch it, use my wife's old SE for the time being.
Thanks for the ideas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear your SE is non operational. But we're keeping our hopes up for you that you'll get a nice birthday surprise. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey chscag. I have other priorities at the moment just starting Into Astrophotography. Got hooked when we had the Perseids meteor shower around last month, got some rather nice pictures.
I've got the old wife's SE phone (the old phone that was my wife's - in case she reads this) which will do me for the time being. Only need one for texts, and the occasional photo, Oh and to keep in touch especially when pout walking the countryside with our dog.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey chscag. I have other priorities at the moment just starting Into Astrophotography. Got hooked when we had the Perseids meteor shower around last month, got some rather nice pictures.

Don't forget to share some of those photos with us. ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh, OK. This is just a deep sky image which I quite liked. The line is a satellite going across, there are dozens of them up there.
This was a 30second exposure facing aboutNE from my garden. I can't do any longer exposures as everything would develop "tails" as the heavens rotate around the pole. Once I get my new tracking mount I'll be able to take much longer exposures which will show much deeper, further away stars and other objects up there.

Attachments

• MJD01455.jpg
    MJD01455.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 27
  • MJD01455.jpg
    MJD01455.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Once I get my new tracking mount I'll be able to take much longer exposures which will show much deeper, further away stars and other objects up there.

Then you can start counting and try and get the total of all the stars and other objects up there... that should ensure keeping you busy... :D

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once I get my new tracking mount I'll be able to take much longer exposures which will show much deeper, further away stars and other objects up there.

Real nice. Looking forward to seeing more photos when you get your new tracking mount. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I understand the financial angle but I got a new iPhone SE 2 to replace my old iPhone 7S a few months back and I am very happy with it for the price but you might prefer a better camera.

OP
C
Reaction score
Absolutely Rod, far more important things in my life right now than a shiny new phone and my wife's old SE is just fine! ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
It sounds like the charging circuitry is not working correctly (which you probably already suspected). It may be possible to have it repaired at a local repair shop that works on iPhones. However, you do need to consider the cost before having that done.

It may be possible to buy another original SE second hand at a modest cost. However, buying an iPhone of any vintage second hand can be risky.
I bought 2 1st gen SEs new unlocked to all providers from this guy on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/383411463227
If you can live with a 32 gig phone these were new phones never used and he still has more for sale at $115 free shipping. I could not pass them up at that price.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for than MM but I'm in the UK !! Any way, I have my wife's old SE which is just fine as all I use one for is keeping in touch and security when I'm out walking the fields and hills.
There refunded me for the battery so I'll clean it and dump it!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I bought 2 1st gen SEs new unlocked to all providers from this guy on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/383411463227
If you can live with a 32 gig phone these were new phones never used and he still has more for sale at $115 free shipping. I could not pass them up at that price.
Probably be ideal for an older user, someone who doesn't want to store a lot of media files but needs a fully functional smart phone for messaging and voice calls. I see that the SE 1st gen will be compatible with iOS 14 too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.