iPhone Photos not synching to iMac

Reaction score
Hi - I didn't see this specific problem when I searched, so apologies if this is a duplicate. When I sync my iPhone 11 with my iMac running Big Sur via a USB cable, the photos that are on my computer show up on my phone. However, the photos I took with my phone don't show up anywhere on my computer. I don't prefer to use iCloud, so is an import the only way I can get my photos from my phone to my computer or should they be showing up from the sync?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The sync works one way... from your iMac to your iPhone. There are other ways for the photos to show up on your iMac when you took them with your iPhone. Someone else will have to explain that to you. I am not a photographer. ;)

You can of course import any photos taken with your phone to the iMac by using the Image Capture.app.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@RobW

If you discount iCloud syncing, then the easiest way of getting pics from iPhone to Mac is by connecting the iPhone to the Mac via USB cable and using Image Capture (found in Finder > Applications) or the Photos app.

The Photos app is quicker in the sense that you open the app, click on your iPhone icon on the left sidebar and when the pics have populated the window on the right, choose which you want to transfer and the click on Import.

Image Capture has the advantage that you can Import the selected pics to anywhere you want on your Mac - including the Photos app.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Although it comes under iCloud, PhotoStream syncs between devices, when wifi is available, without involving iCloud storage. That's what I use with my MBP, iPad and phone. Occasionally it can be slow so if I need a photo urgently I use AirDrop. Just done this screenshot - which is how you set up PhotoStream - on phone/iPad and it's immediately in Photos on my MBP.

Settings > Apple ID, iCloud etc > iCloud > Photos ON > then as per first screenshot.

On your Mac it's System Preferences > Internet Accounts > iCloud then switch off Photos.

8BA39C9B-8EDC-4BBE-B93B-D244C53B2F7D.png

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 19.16.23.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.