iPhone password problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
My wife has been having problems logging in to her l phone. Her daughter will be going to the Apple store next week to see if they can sort it out.
one point is she has copied the photos from iPhone to the Google photos app.
just thinking if that’s a good idea. If the phone gets sorted with a new login password etc.
would it simple to get the images from Google to the lphone.
many thanks.
David.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What sort of password problems? What iPhone? ids TouchID or FaceID being used? Is the password just numeric or alphanumeric?

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Many thanks for your reply.
as the above question. My daughter decided to take action to get the original login password.
Don’t know what she did. We can’t login to the original password. The iPhone and are working okay.
the question regarding the password is the original one is letters in upper case and some in lowercase and numbers.
wish we could back to the original password to login.
my wife is not very well she has park diseas. And that phone to her is vital. And the iPad. Both are working okay. But would like to know how to overcome this log in issue.
many for your thoughts.
David under pressure.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
David, there are a few Passcode options depending a little on which model iPhone and which iOS it's running but assuming you can login then why not use Touch ID or Change the Passcode to something memorable or even just turn it off.
You can do any of the above from the Touch ID & Passcode settings but you will need to enter the Passcode once to authorise any changes.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. The iPhone in question is a iPhone 7. Fully updated to the latest iOS for that model.
David.
PS. To be honest I’m a little worried about making a mess of it.
thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi David. Not very nice for you, all this worry and hassle. Really sorry for you and family.

I wonder if you can help me understand all this Password/Passcode business?

As I understand things: your iPhone & iPad are working fine; which implies that you can "login" to these iDevices.

Following the "daughter intervention", you can't login using the original Passcode - well you can only have one Passcode at any one time. So, I take it from that, the real difficulty is not so much logging in (as both iDevices are "working fine"); but what you want is a really easy Passcode? Have I got that right?

Now, our friend, Rod, has come up with some great advice for you.

If you are logging in to the iPad & iPhone, then you have access to Settings by definition. If you scroll down to "Touch ID & Passcode" (something like that as I don't have your model of the iPhone/iPad).

You will now, as Rod said, need to input a Passcode - whatever passcode you currently use to login to these iDevices. If that works then scroll well down where you are able to (a) Turn Passcode off (b) change Passcode to something easier.

Now David, all of the above comes from my interpretation of what you've posted. You need to correct me if I've misunderstood you.

The key to my understanding is based on your current ability to login to these devices with a Passcode. Is that right?

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi just tried your suggestion but it asks for password. Which we do know.
Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi just tried your suggestion but it asks for password. Which we do know.
Thanks.

Excellent. Go for it. BTW, my use of "Passcode" rather than "Password" is only because that's what Apple calls it. For practical purposes, they are identical terms :) ;) .

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian. Many thanks for your reply.
have tried to log int the original password ana passcode wh I enter the login password it asks for I’d etc but it won’t let me login any further.
what a headache.
the iPad and iPhone are communicating together. But can’t login to any of them.
thanks.
can I make a new password etc?

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob. Thanks.
if I follow that method. Will I loose photos ets and other items. .?

many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Excellent. Go for it. BTW, my use of "Passcode" rather than "Password" is only because that's what Apple calls it. For practical purposes, they are identical terms :) ;) .

Ian
Ian though I don't fundamentally disagree with you, to me the passcode is the numeric (in my case) code used to access my phone, when I see password then I think of the Apple ID password, a totally different animal. The OP needs to ensure it is passcode or password that is being requested.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. How can I determine if it’s the password or passcode. Apple requires??

Thanx. David.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks. How can I determine if it’s the password or passcode. Apple requires??

Thanx. David.
When you access your iPhone, you use a passcode. The passcode can be set up to use alpha numeric or only numbers.

If Apple is requesting (not the device) the password, then it is your Apple/iCloud ID password.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian though I don't fundamentally disagree with you, to me the passcode is the numeric (in my case) code used to access my phone, when I see password then I think of the Apple ID password, a totally different animal. The OP needs to ensure it is passcode or password that is being requested.

You are, of course, correct; but in the context, Tomos is being asked for his numerical passcode rather than his Apple ID which requires an email address and a password.

And strictly speaking, one doesn't need an Apple ID to open an iDevice.

Sure, most people associate their Apple ID with the device in question; but it is not mandatory and not required for "logging in" to the iDevice - that's Fingerprint, Face ID and/or the passcode.

And @Tomos (David), in answer to your question above, it is the passcode (numerical or alphanumerical) that is being asked. As I said above, an Apple ID is not needed for entering your iDevices; but is needed for syncing your Devices - quite different.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob. Thanks.
if I follow that method. Will I loose photos ets and other items. .?

many thanks.

Lose things - No. But going into DFU Mode is tricky - I've tried that in the past. And note this quote from Bob's Link:

"Forgot your iPhone passcode? Learn how to put your iPhone into recovery mode so you can erase it and set it up again."

And that means what it says. You wipe it clean (ie erase everything) then set it up as new and download all your data, apps, photos, settings, music etc from your backup - usually iCloud (could be a Mac or third party backup)

Just so you know. :)

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Once Again many thanks. Have t have a good read of the replies
just one point. We. Oth are in our late seventies. An as we all know that our brai don’t function like it used to b.
Thanks. Will have to have another l at the situation.
david.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks to all.
friend of mine took us to our local Apple store. They changed the password and login details. Didn’t take long all photos etc were saved etc.
on e again many thanks.
ps. There was no charge for the The job.
David. 👍

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was no charge for the The job.

Great to have things fixed and an extra bonus for there being no charge!

There shouldn't be anyway given the price of their products and, in your case anyway, a quick solution at the counter, so to speak.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As with all things; "Easy when you know how" I guess. Glad you got it fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.