iPhone not getting ANY audio alerts now!!

Reaction score
get the messages and the emails but no audio alerts..and nothing from notifications! This is beyond frustrating. A co-worker who on my advice has not "upgraded" to iOS8 sits next to me with an iPhone that's constantly chirpping and burping and vibrating. I am getting Butkiss! Went to Genius Bar; waste of time! Is Apple working on a fix for this, or am i doing something wrong? Should Cellular Data be on or off? Currently it's on.

Reaction score
Might get an answer if this was in iPhone-IOS forum instead of OS X forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Calm down. First off, you posted in the forum for Mac OS X, yet you make references to iOS and the iPhone. What, exactly, do you have and what OS version is it running? What exactly did they tell you at the Genius Bar? Was it working for them or.... ???

For the record, iOS 8 definitely had some roughness to it on release, but the latest version (8.1.1) ironed out a lot of lingering issues. I wouldn't and haven't hesitated to recommend "upgrading" to it.

Open your Settings app, then Sounds. Are your alerts set? Try changing them to something else.

OP
D
Reaction score
..sorry..am so frustrated i posted in wrong group...iPhone 4s, iOS 8.1.1. Genius Bar said it was because i had inadvertently turned on restrictions. put in four digit code and it was off. They said that would fix it. i waited at bar for about 5mins, no audio alerts, i said the phone normally chirpped something evry 2 minutes or so, they said it should work fine now. Obviously it did not..will go to iPhone OS forum now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..sorry..am so frustrated i posted in wrong group...iPhone 4s, iOS 8.1.1. Genius Bar said it was because i had inadvertently turned on restrictions. put in four digit code and it was off. They said that would fix it. i waited at bar for about 5mins, no audio alerts, i said the phone normally chirpped something evry 2 minutes or so, they said it should work fine now. Obviously it did not..will go to iPhone OS forum now.

Don't worry about starting a new thread. A mod will likely move this or merge it to where it belongs. Creating new discussions just muddles the matter.

Anyway... restrictions? That shouldn't have anything to do with this. And alerts every 2 minutes? EGAD!!!! Did you check to see what alert sounds are set as recommended earlier? What is the sound volume set for alerts (same settings page)?

EDIT: have you tried doing a hard reset? Press and hold the home button, then press and hold the lock button up top. Keep both pressed down until the iPhone reboots and you see the Apple logo. This effectively is the same as popping the battery out and forces the device to reboot. Sometimes this fixes quirky behavior.

OP
D
Reaction score
yes..have done all that several times over..here's what else is odd.when i open the 'mail' app for example, i get an alert...and a lot of mail that came in since last going into mail...

M

MacInWin

Check in Settings/Mail, contacts, calendars for Fetch New Data. If it's Fetch, change it to Push. That way mail will be pushed to you when it arrives.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks..it was set to PUSH…mail now comes all at once, in bunches, instead notifying as each mail comes in…i get tweets from cops and fire….usually get one every five mins or so about something…have't had ONE today! Get message, no tweet alert

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@dee gee:

Please do not cross post. You've posted in the wrong forum and we moved your thread here to where it belongs. Your cross post has been removed.

OP
D
Reaction score
..ok..called 1-800-myiphone..seems if you have an ios8 issue, the advice is free...so the tech asked if i downloaded update over WiFi...yes..then she said if there's even brief outage, it can cause probs. She said i should connect my phone to my macbook, go to iTunes and click restore iPhone. Havent done this yet cause am still at work. Does this make sense to anyone else?
thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it does make sense. But don't you have another discussion about your problem already? You keep starting new discussions about the same problem and it muddies things a lot because we can't keep track of what you've said and what others have suggested. Please stick to one single conversation and add to it as needed.

Anyway... doing a restore would have been my next bit of advice for you to do.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@ dee gee:

Please stop cross posting and starting new threads regarding the same subject. We've already had to move your thread because it was posted in the wrong forum and now you're starting a new thread about the same thing. I've combined everything together here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before you restore the iPhone in iTunes, make sure you do a backup FIRST! Then do the restore. It will prompt you to restore the backup at some point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.