iPhone control a Macbook

Reaction score
I have a Macbook and am using it in 'closed lid' position. Can you use an iPhone instead of a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to control the Macbook? Do you need a particular app. I know that one exists but for the Macbook to be controlled (in closed mode) does the input device have to work via bluetooth?

I'd rather not have a keyboard and mouse clogging up my living room.

Any thoughts

Reaction score
that is a good idea, that would be so cool if you could. have you tried a wi-fi connection like a computer to computer with the iPhone and Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Yes you can, there was an old program for ipod touch 1.0 / iphone 1.0 jailbroken called touchpad pro that made your iphone a touchpad for your computer, and you push a button in the corner and a keyboard pops up. There was another button for a remote resembling an apple remote. Its pretty neat hopefully something like it comes to the app store. If you want a VNC client there is Mocha VNC Lite I believe its called, in the app store for free. It works all right but its somewhat laggy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
The only thing I know of now that can operate your iTunes library (not your whole computer) is the free app called "Remote."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I'm hoping that touchpad pro will eventually be on the app store...
It looks really cool and would be perfect for operating your computer in closed lid mode hooked up to a tv... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.