iPhone charging hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 13,2, i7, 3Tb, 24G RAM
Good morning all,
I am currently working on a project to mount some Amateur Radio components into a motorcycle tank bag. I would like to add charging capability for my iPhone.

Space is at a premium, and I don't have room for a 12 volt car outlet and charging adapter. Part of the project is a custom PCB board, and I have room there for a USB-A port and a DC-DC converter on the board. DC-DC converter shown here: 5W DC-DC Converter

Is it OK to merely provide 5 volts to a USB-A port, or is there circuitry within phone chargers that is necessary to safely charge an iPhone battery?

Thanks,
Jeff

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sounds like a fun project. I don't think there is any reason why that should not work. The charging is controlled in the iPhone, AFAIK, as you can use a simple cable to the 12 volt car outlet, any brand, to charge the iPhone. You didn't say what iPhone, or whether it has a USB-c or Lightning port, but that shouldn't make too much difference. You have the specs for USB-A, right?

BTW, I am W1HRE. Not very active these days, but I keep the license.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.