iPhone Camera Add-Ons - Just Gimmicky or Useful - Comments Please from Users?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
As a few of you know, I just obtained my first iPhone (XR) and was on a recent trip to the NC Mountains - although I took my DC (Panasonic Lumix Point & Shoot), decided to use just the phone for my pics and was really impressed (just one example below from the deck of our 4700+ ft cabin looking at Grandfather Mountain - Pano mode used) - so wondering (since the iPhone is the MOST popular camera in the world, I believe!) who uses their iPhone (or others) as their main digital camera and have accessories helped like the ones below from Amazon HERE - thanks. Dave

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 4.22.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 4.22.43 PM.png

Deerwood_LAug21 copy.JPG

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Dave

First off; nice photo. Thank you.

It's obvious that anything I say has a personal bias.

I've had an iPhone since the 3 and my current one is iPhone X. The iPhone has very largely replaced my DSLRs - sadly, as they were expensive. But the iPhone is: highly portable and lightweight; has a good enough camera for most uses and picture quality is excellent for most situations.

Apple's Photos app extends the range of capabilities by offering an extensive photo editing suite, supplemented by any number of add-on extensions, eg, Affinity photo.

I have tried/played with some of the "extras" shown in your example above. They add weight & bulk whilst reducing comfort of use; without adding any "essential" benefit. And these are expensive Add-Ons. May as well cart along my DSLR.

The one, and for me only, addition is a tripod. Slo-Mo, long exposures, capturing fast-moving objects and low-light photographs benefit enormously from having a Tripod. If these are within your range of interests, of course.

Just a few thoughts.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
+1 for what Ian has said. And for the tripod, look at Joby's offerings of tripods with maneuverable legs. The ability to clamp an iPhone mount to a pipe or just about anything is pretty handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My only addition is a tripod - just as Ian suggested. I use my iPhone when I am traveling light. Otherwise I take my Nikon.

I recently had a chance to tour a B-17. Used my iPhone Xs Max to take pictures. For those of you who may have heard of the EAA they were doing a weekend tour with it.

Lisa

B-17.JPG

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for the comments - all of these X iPhones have 12 MP resolution but of course the XS & XSMax have the 'dual cameras', missing in my XR. From your descriptions, these newest iPhones can certainly replace many of the features of regular DCs whether 'point and shoot' or DSLR - in the 'ole days' I had several film/slide based SLR cameras and a bunch of lenses, plus several tripods - my interest waned - with the digital revolution, I decided to go w/ the simpler digital cameras.

Also, these 'lens attachments' do not seem to be a hit so far, unless others 'chime in' w/ some positive responses. At the moment, I have a nice monopod w/ a screw that attaches to my digital camera - I agree that some stabilizing device would be an important adjunct for improving picture taking w/ the iPhone - will take a look at the options - would want a tripod/monopod that is small, expandable, and easily carried (like on a belt hook) when collapsed - would appreciate any recommendations that some may be using. Thanks for all of the excellent comments. Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Last edited:
OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said, I am partial to the Joby Gorillapod tripod. Tripods for Phone, Camera & Tablet | JOBY
Joby also has a very small tripod for the iPhone that can slip into a pocket: HandyPod Mobile Plus: mini hand tripod, remote control included | JOBY

The griptight mount for camera is very handy and adapts to existing tripods for cameras with a screw mount. I have one and it is very sturdy.

EDIT: This may be the smallest tripod of all time: GripTight ONE Micro Stand - For any smartphone | JOBY

Thanks Jake for the additional comments and the links above - this morning will visit Amazon and order a number of items: 1) Flexible 'small' portable tripod - like the Joby and also the Xenvo SquidGrip; 2) Inexpensive mount for my old monopod; and 3) Bluetooth shutter control. For the moment, no one seems positive about the clip on lenses, although w/ my XR, only a single lens is present which imposes some limitations - will explore further. Thanks all again for the comments. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.