iPhone 8 was factory reset but wants passcode

krs

Reaction score
My son passed down his iPhone 8 to us after he got a new iPhone.
He did the factory reset and double checked that getting the "Hello" etc. in various languages.
When I received that iPhone, the battery was dead - I recharged it, that went OK
Then when I turned it on, it shows a date of Oct. 24 and a time of 11:04, neither one makes sense - the time right now is 12:24 and my son was in the same time zone as I am.
All that is not really an issue, just mentioning it in case it has a bearing on the issue.
Bottom of screen says "Press home to unlock"
Then I get a screen with "Enter Passcode" with a key pad comes up looking for a 6-digit passcode.

The iPhone had been "factory reset" but now this request for a passcode shows up.
My son has only ever used one 6-digit passcode; we tried that, that just gave back the screen asking to "enter passcode"
Now what????
(I don't use iPhone - can my son go into his Apple account and reset that phone?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And to do that is much simpler than before, thank goodness:

- that is, if your son has any other Mac device - all he has to do is open that device, go to System Settings on an iDevice, System Preferences on older Mac OSs, System Settings on Ventura -

Tap or go into his Apple ID and there will be a list of Devices registered in his name. Tap or Click on the relevant iPhone 8, let it populate, then tap/Click on "Remove from Account" or similar command.

If he doesn't own any Mac device - he could take the iPhone 8 (which is still in his name), power it up, go through the process of ownership including entering his Apple ID and after all is finished - then disassociate that iPhone from his Apple ID. Then wipe it clean as before then give it to Dad.

An other option if he lives far away and it's difficult to get access to the 8, he could use any computer, go onto the web, sign in to Apple ID and remove the 8 from there.

Lots of options :)

Ian

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Did your son follow all of these steps?

IN particular, he may need to disassociate the iPhone from his AppleID.
Thanks,
My son tells me he went through all those steps.
In fact, he has sold his old iPhones numerous times after doing the factory reset so he was very familiar with the process.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
And to do that is much simpler than before, thank goodness:

- that is, if your son has any other Mac device - all he has to do is open that device, go to System Settings on an iDevice, System Preferences on older Mac OSs, System Settings on Ventura -

Tap or go into his Apple ID and there will be a list of Devices registered in his name. Tap or Click on the relevant iPhone 8, let it populate, then tap/Click on "Remove from Account" or similar command.

If he doesn't own any Mac device - he could take the iPhone 8 (which is still in his name), power it up, go through the process of ownership including entering his Apple ID and after all is finished - then disassociate that iPhone from his Apple ID. Then wipe it clean as before then give it to Dad.

An other option if he lives far away and it's difficult to get access to the 8, he could use any computer, go onto the web, sign in to Apple ID and remove the 8 from there.

Lots of options :)

Ian
Thanks for the info.
My son has a number of Mac devices, including MacBook Pros and iPhones.
He had checked his Apple account and it no longer shows an iPhone 8, only his current new iPhone and an iPhone 5s he also uses.

The only thing we can think of is that the iPhone I have is not actually his old iPhone 8.
In fact I can't even tell for sure0. if it is an iPhone 8 since I see no identifier on the case and I can't check any of the specs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fact it asks for a six digit code means someone at some time set it to six. The default is 4, as I recall. so the iPhone appears NOT to be back to full factory mode. You might try some of the things here:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The only thing we can think of is that the iPhone I have is not actually his old iPhone 8.
In fact I can't even tell for sure0. if it is an iPhone 8 since I see no identifier on the case and I can't check any of the specs.

Wait... how did you receive it? By mail, UPS, etc? This does sound like what you received is not what he sent. Can you post pictures of it? We can try to figure out what model it is from that.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Wait... how did you receive it? By mail, UPS, etc? This does sound like what you received is not what he sent. Can you post pictures of it? We can try to figure out what model it is from that.
It was sent by couries, can't remember which, months ago.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
So the iPhone is definitely an iPhone 8 with 64GB storage.
It shows as being "active"

So, maybe it's not your son's iPhone 8? I promise, I mean no insult. This is a complicated problem and you, yourself, have hinted that:

"It shows as being active": that could be interpreted as it's not his iPhone but another still under its original Apple ID owner - or what?

I understand this is a really difficult issue. Wish we could bring an end to your misery.

BTW, may not help, but does your son confirm that it was a 64GB device? If yes, we are no further forward as that was a common storage option at the time. If no - you have an answer.

Ian

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
"It shows as being active": that could be interpreted as it's not his iPhone but another still under its original Apple ID owner - or what?
My assumption right now is that this is my son's old iPhone but that someone in the family activated it.
I should be able to tell for sure when I contact my son later today (he is at work) since I have the IMEI number, the serial number etc.

Right now I was going to check the various family Apple accounts to see if an iPhone 8 is registered on any of them, but ran into another problem.
To get into my own Apple account, Apple seems to want to force me to set up 2FA, but to do that I seem to either need an iPhone or macOS Catalina or later.
I also don't want to use 2FA via a cellphone because in Canada, due to a CRTC regulation, that set up is being used for fraud.
All financial institutions I use allow 2FA via land line which is far more secure that via a cell phone.
I found an Apple website that lets one set up 2FA that way, iforget.apple.com
I tried that, got through all the capchas, security questions to the end, but when I entered the phone number for 2FA I don't get a phone call with the 6-digit verification code.
Tried several times, also using a borrowed cell phone requesting a text message - just does not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To get into my own Apple account, Apple seems to want to force me to set up 2FA, but to do that I seem to either need an iPhone or macOS Catalina or later.
I also don't want to use 2FA via a cellphone because in Canada, due to a CRTC regulation, that set up is being used for fraud.

2FA on Apple devices works by sending the code directly to the device, not by SMS. Actually they may well have an SMS option, I don't recall for sure, but I don't use it (EDIT: yes, you can use SMS if you don't get the code on the device, but you might be able to disable that as an option). Going direct to the device is far more secure than SMS, maybe even better than a landline. I doubt it's less secure than a landline in any event.

However, I will say I wouldn't do that unless I had access to at least a couple Apple devices with my ID on them. Just in case one gets lost or stolen. I actually have an old iPhone 6S still around just for this purpose... account recovery in a pinch.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
2FA on Apple devices works by sending the code directly to the device, not by SMS.
That doesn't help.
Briefly - this goes back to cell phones being locked to service providers.
When that was changed in Canada and all cell phones had now to be unlocked and people could switch service providers anytime, some service providers would drag their feet and delay that, or claimed the customer needs to provide 30 days notice or something like that.
So CRTC stepped in with this process:

Switch providers and keep your number​

Once you’ve picked your new service provider, we recommend that you ask your new service provider to transfer your existing services on your behalf. (You don’t even need to talk to your current provider!Footnote 1)

How does this work?​

• All you need to do is phone, email or send regular mail to your new service provider to request a service transfer. Your new service provider will cancel your existing services and start your new services with them.
  • As soon as your current service provider receives the notice of cancellation from your new provider, they will cancel your services immediately. Alternatively, you can ask to have your services cancelled at a later date.
  • You do not need to provide 30 days notice before cancelling your phone, mobile, Internet, or TV services

So what happened was that fraudsters got a hold of someone's cell phone number and had that service transferred to their Service Provider. When the 2FA code was sent, it ended up on the fraudsters phone so they could access the other person's account.
That transfer would happen in minutes or certainly in less than an hour, the original owner of that phone number never received any notice that their service was changed - they typically found out next time they made a call and found out that there was "no service".
They would call their service provider and only then found out that their number had been transferred.

So....I much prefer a land line (which I still have) for 2FA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That doesn't help.
Briefly - this goes back to cell phones being locked to service providers.
When that was changed in Canada and all cell phones had now to be unlocked and people could switch service providers anytime, some service providers would drag their feet and delay that, or claimed the customer needs to provide 30 days notice or something like that.
So CRTC stepped in with this process:

So what happened was that fraudsters got a hold of someone's cell phone number and had that service transferred to their Service Provider. When the 2FA code was sent, it ended up on the fraudsters phone so they could access the other person's account.
That transfer would happen in minutes or certainly in less than an hour, the original owner of that phone number never received any notice that their service was changed - they typically found out next time they made a call and found out that there was "no service".
They would call their service provider and only then found out that their number had been transferred.

So....I much prefer a land line (which I still have) for 2FA
I think you missed the point. What LIAB said was that Apple doesn't send SMS for 2FA, they send an iMessage directly to the iPhone, not through the SMS system. Has little to do with whatever phone number, more to do with your AppleID and iCloud login. None of what you recounted about stolen phone numbers has anything to do with it.

And to protect from the old switch scam, read these suggestions:

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I think you missed the point. What LIAB said was that Apple doesn't send SMS for 2FA, they send an iMessage directly to the iPhone, not through the SMS system. Has little to do with whatever phone number, more to do with your AppleID and iCloud login. None of what you recounted about stolen phone numbers has anything to do with it.
This just shows you that I know nothing about iPhones and how 2FA is handled by them.
Makes me wonder why Apple needs a phone number and then provides an option to either text or call to provide the 6-digit 2FA code

Can iMessage be used to set up 2FA with a financial institution?
I'm more worried about someone getting into my bank accounts than into my Apple account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This just shows you that I know nothing about iPhones and how 2FA is handled by them.
Makes me wonder why Apple needs a phone number and then provides an option to either text or call to provide the 6-digit 2FA code

They don't need one. Just don't give them one. I mean, if you set up an iPhone as a phone, then obviously a number will be needed for calls and SMS. But as for your AppleID? No. If it's already added, you can remove it. You'll have to first de-register the phone number for use with iMessage and Facetime.

Can iMessage be used to set up 2FA with a financial institution?
I'm more worried about someone getting into my bank accounts than into my Apple account.

You can only use 2FA in the manner supported by your financial institution. Banks are largely horrible at this. Calls or SMS, sometimes email. I wish more, and especially mine, would use TOTP authenticators. One of my banks at least can let me authorize a sign-in using the app on my iPhone (code goes straight to the app).

If you choose not to use your phone number with iMessage, you'll still get SMS messages, but they go only to your phone. If you tie your phone number to your AppleID and iMessage, then even regular SMS messages will get routed to ALL of your Apple devices that are signed in that way. It's really a great, seamless feature.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
After numerous tries I now have managed to get into my Apple account

but unfortunately the iPhone 8 was not listed.

I had noped one of the local family members had set it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-read post #6, look at the link I provided. The final step in that article shows how to factory reset if you have forgotten everything about the iPhone. It requires a Mac with iTunes, and everything is erased, but that's what you want, anyway, so nothing lost if it works or not.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Re-read post #6, look at the link I provided. The final step in that article shows how to factory reset if you have forgotten everything about the iPhone. It requires a Mac with iTunes, and everything is erased, but that's what you want, anyway, so nothing lost if it works or not.
Thanks,
That approach in the link you provided was going to be next if it turns out that this iPhone is not in any of the family Apple accounts. And so far it doesn't seem to be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.