iPhone 7 died and overheated after dying

Reaction score
I had used my iPhone without issues 10 minutes earlier at home. 5 minutes later I heard the phone vibrate from a notification. 5 minutes later when I tried to check the phone it was completely unresponsive and very overheated. It would't turn on and kept overheating on its own, so I put it in the fridge. After some hours I removed it and let it get to room temp. Charged it for hours but doesn't turn on. I also tried pressing the Sleep/Wake button + Volume Down button for 10 seconds while connecting to iTunes.

Do you know what problem it may be? I will send it to a small repair shop (not sure if trustworthy) in a small town. I would try to diagnose on my own if possible. I have no access to Apple stores here. I need information to decide whether I should fix it or buy a new one. At least I'd like to have an idea of what could be wrong. I would also like to do a backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like battery failure. That's really the only thing that would cause the phone to overheat. That overheating may have caused internal damage to the phone so be sure you get an estimate of the cost to repair it before you decide to have it repaired.

You may have to buy a new phone. Check out the new 2020 SE as it's reasonably priced and the same size as your old 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
And it is probably too late to do a backup - especially if it won't come on. Hopefully you have an iCloud backup.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, ditto all of that. I have just replaced my old iPhone 7 with the new iPhone 2020 SE, I can highly recommend it if you are looking for a faster version of your 7.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm also considering getting a new phone but if I can replace the battery or fix it for a reasonable price I will repair, resell and then get a new one. I also want to back up since iCloud was full.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.