iphone 6 plus wifi setting question please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch IMac i7 3ghz and own a mac book pro. Both are customized from factory.
Hello everybody.

About a month and a half ago,I bought my iPhone 6 plus.

I have been tweaking many of the settings to give me maximum battery performance.

I am confused and have been receiving conflicting advice as to whether I should leave the wifi turned on at all times, or to turn it on and off as I need it. far.

A couple of Apple tech support guys recommended leaving it on,as they say it will definitely not drain the battery. Apple,on their website says the same- But several pieces of research from experts I've encountered says that leaving it on will drain the battery. Some people say turning it on and off as you need it is the best way to go.

I am confused. What do you guys recommend? Please be easy to understand,as I am only a little familiar with the iPhone. Thank you! Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have an iPhone 6+ too. I leave the wifi on all the time. I do plug my phone into the charger every other day and even at that I could probably wait another day.

With my previous phone - a Samsung Note II, I turned the wifi off as it drained the battery and I could not get a full day out of it if I left it on.

Try leaving it on. I bet you won't see any appreciable drain on your battery.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I am confused and have been receiving conflicting advice as to whether I should leave the wifi turned on at all times, or to turn it on and off as I need it. far.

A couple of Apple tech support guys recommended leaving it on,as they say it will definitely not drain the battery. Apple,on their website says the same- But several pieces of research from experts I've encountered says that leaving it on will drain the battery. Some people say turning it on and off as you need it is the best way to go.

I am confused. What do you guys recommend? Please be easy to understand,as I am not a mac expert. Thank you! Mike

Hi Mike - well a Mac runs on OS X; you own an Apple iDevice that uses iOS - ;)

But I agree w/ Lisa - I'm surprised that Apple tech told you the statement in bold above; of course, if your Wi-Fi & BT radios are ON, then they will require energy from your battery - Wi-Fi is constantly searching for compatible networks and trying to connect or maintain a connection; there are battery apps (check the app store) that will provide more specific details, but the drainage is fairly minimal - I have an iPad Air 2 & wife has an iPad Mini & iPhone 6 (regular) and we leave the Wi-Fi on all of the time. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting this problem I do want to know the answer too. :)

Hi again Alice - answer already suggested, i.e. leave your Wi-Fi radio on if needed, just charge the iPad - if you're not connected to a Wi-Fi network and your battery is low AND you don't have a charging option, then turn off your devices radios.

As to 'how much' battery time is available if you are connected to Wi-Fi, then take a look at the attached pic from one of the battery apps on my iPad Air 2 - note the times remaining for certain iPad activities, e.g. Wi-Fi browsing is about equal to watching a video; now my BT radio is also on (used AirDrop to send the 'screen capture' from my iPad to my MBPro from where I'm posting at the moment) - hope this helps. Dave :)

IMG_1743.PNG

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave-

"then take a look at the attached pic from one of the battery apps on my iPad Air 2"

Is this app available on the iPhone 6 plus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave-

"then take a look at the attached pic from one of the battery apps on my iPad Air 2"

Is this app available on the iPhone 6 plus?

Sure - my iPad Air 2 is on iOS 8 as I assume is your iPhone - just go to the iPad App Store and search on 'battery' - there are a number available - I have a couple, but the one shown is 'Battery HD+ Pro' - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.