iPhone 6 Plus Disappearing Storage

Reaction score
Hi all,

Please help! I've searched around Google and on the forums but so far have not found quite the same issue as what I am experiencing, and it has been incredible aggravating. What's happening is my iPhone's storage space mysteriously seems to be losing Available capacity, sometimes even briefly gaining that storage back.

Last week I had over 20GB available. The next morning I looked at my phone and I had 4GB available. Then, a day or two after that, 0k. It is important to note that I did not add anything during this time, apart from a few pictures in the span of 20GB to 4GB, but nowhere near that amount of data! I have even gone through and deleted several GB's worth of photos and apps, at one point freeing up about 6GB's as of this past Sunday. By Monday night I had 1.6GB available, again without adding anything new to my phone. Today, I woke up again to 0kb. Again I deleted over 1,200 pictures (I didn't need them anymore anyway) which somehow only freed up 11.9mb. 10 minutes later that number magically jumped to 1.6GB, but I would expect that to be updated sooner if it was still processing the permanently deleted pictures?

Finally, I have manually calculated all of my apps under Settings>Usage>Manage Storage and have found that I have only used 85.2GB. Yet the iPhone still claims I've used 112GB and I still have that 1.6GB that I had about 30 minutes ago this morning. I realize many people will tell me to restore my phone, but since I am between computers right now that is not a possibility. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read through this. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6+ 128gb
iOS: 8.1

Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I realize many people will tell me to restore my phone, but since I am between computers right now that is not a possibility. Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read through this. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean, between computers? Or do you mean that you do not have a computer that you can use to restore your iPhone 6? In the meantime, do you have Photo Stream turned on? If so, turn it off. And be sure to update iOS to 8.2.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi chscag,

Thanks for the reply. Yes that's correct, I do not currently have a computer that I can use to restore my iPhone. My 9 year old Mac Pro finally gave out, but that's a whole 'nother situation. Photo Stream is already turned off. I cannot update to 8.2 due to lack of free space. Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only thing I can think of in your situation is.... when you delete photos from iOS, they don't actually get deleted. The system keeps them for awhile in case you've changed your mind or may have accidentally deleted them. Unfortunately, this means they're still taking up space.

Read the following article and follow along with the procedure he gives to permanently remove the photos from your iPhone 6. Let me know if that helps free up space.

OP
S
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of in your situation is.... when you delete photos from iOS, they don't actually get deleted. The system keeps them for awhile in case you've changed your mind or may have accidentally deleted them. Unfortunately, this means they're still taking up space.

Read the following article and follow along with the procedure he gives to permanently remove the photos from your iPhone 6. Let me know if that helps free up space.

I had already done this as well :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had already done this as well :\

Then, it's time to head to your nearest Apple store and let them deal with it. They can do a reset for you and at the same time load up the latest iOS version. If the phone is defective, it's still covered by the one year warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.