iphone 12 battery usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
after just getting my new iPhone 12, which I love,
I've been looking into the various suggestions to reduce battery usage. I've done most of them. turn off auto updates, and several others. I would have to go back and check each thing that I did change, tho i do love the dark screen!
i was told also by rep... to let battery run down low even to 20% before charging.

I know that things are on in the background when phone is not in use. Last night I charged up my phone to 100% using the proper adaptor charged in 1 1/2 hours boy was that quick. Anyway when I woke up this morning the battery was down to 89%.

So is it normal for it to lose that much percent overnight when it's sitting being unused?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Here is a good video on battery usage: Video: Make Your iPhone Last Longer With These Battery Preserving Tips

As for the suggestion
i was told also by rep... to let battery run down low even to 20% before charging.
that is totally bogus. Lithium batteries like those in Apple products don't like deep discharges like that and survive longer if kept in the 50-80 percent range.

Also, the new iPhone has a battery management that "learns" your usage and will charge your iPhone appropriately. So, for example, if you put it on charge overnight and typically get up at 7 AM to use your phone, it may well only charge to about 80-85% until just before 7 AM and then finish the charge. Lithium batteries also don't last a long held at 100% (the impact is actually small, but there), so the smart charging holds off on topping off until the "usual" time you put the phone into service. The general advice is, then, to charge overt if you have a regular schedule in the mornings. The phone will adjust accordingly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.