iPhone 11 Pro Max screen flickering issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I've been noticing this screen flickering issue for about 2 or 3 weeks now. I always thought it was my eyes maybe noticing a frame rate change the way you can notice it when scrolling through a window too fast, or watching TV, but now I've been noticing it more. The flickering happens almost throughout all stages of use on my iPhone, and no matter what app I'm on. I've searched the issue online, but others seem mostly to complain about the issue while using the photos app.

Anyone else notice this issue? It's a single quick flicker that occurs what seems to be randomly to me. I'm not able to replicate/force the issue to happen no matter what I do. It's just random, and it REALLY annoying to my eyes the same way that flickering on a TV is intolerable. I took it to the Apple store and they were not able to notice any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is this something that only happens on the iPhone 11 Pro? I have the 11, but haven't noticed this issue.

What is your daily usage? I can almost get two full days of use from a single charge, so I'm not a power user. Also, 98% of the time, I'm on my home wi-fi network.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Is this something that only happens on the iPhone 11 Pro? I have the 11, but haven't noticed this issue.
I have no idea. I've never had this issue with any phone before, and have 3 regular iPhone 11s in my family and haven't noticed it on any of those.

What is your daily usage? I can almost get two full days of use from a single charge, so I'm not a power user. Also, 98% of the time, I'm on my home wi-fi network.
I'm usually down to ~35 by the end of the day if I never charge it throughout the day.
I've tried turning off all screen features like true tone and hdr- still no change.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Is there any AppleCare still on it? If so I would contact them by phone and tell them it is random. Also IMO your battery should last longer. You can check your battery health to see what it shows but if it can’t last a good 24 hours....well I would return it.

I had a random issue with my Xs Max. People could not hear me talking on a call but it echoed back to me. Resets, re-installs the whole nine yards would only temporarily fix it. I finally called Apple and they sent me another phone then I sent mine back. I did not argue, I just told them it was random and nothing they had suggested worked. Since I had AppleCare+ they exchanged it. Initially I was told I would be charged as an incident(?) but I was never charged.

BTW: I play audible books constantly with mine and it still lasts all day with at least 60% left.

Lisa

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I’m not really concerned about the battery. Battery life is still 99% and I bought it when it first came out. I think it lasts plenty for how much I use it. I don’t think this is related to my screen issue anyways.

I’ve already taken it to Apple and they said there were no issues showing when they examined it. That’s why I’m on here asking if anyone else has this issue. I’m not shy about taking my stuff to Apple when issues come up. It’s just that they haven’t been able to do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How long does the flickering last and is there a pattern to when it appears? If it last long enough and is predictable, then I would use another device to see if you can record it. For bendable thing like laptop and flip phones, the cable is the obvious culprit for image issues. However, that isn't an issue for the iPhone.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It's literally a single flicker. Almost as if theres an electrical static change in the brightness of the screen. I thought about capturing it, but's its too random and would be impossible. I don't know what triggers the issue.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I had a super weird problem. I noticed I had 1 update available- the most recent one that allows quick detection of your face with a face mask and what not. I started the update and let it do its thing like normal when I get notified of a new update. After some time, I realized I had completely forgotten about the phone and went to check on it. I was greeted with a black screen that showed the Apple iPhone support website address and showed a white cable connected to a computer. WHATTT??? Looks like the update bricked my phone! I tried plugging in the iPhone to my MAIN Mac, which is the Mac Pro 6.1, and nothing! The only computer that my phone would get detected on was my 2018 MBP! I'm going through a forced restore now and I hope it starts working, but come tomorrow, I'm going to the Apple store and just demanding a new phone. I'm tired of this phone and am really missing my Note 9.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
iggibar,

I think Apple should replace the iPhone, as you stated.

By way of explaining what happened: it looks like the iPhone went into DFU Mode?? May I ask; when you did the update to iOS 13.5, did you do this via your Mac (USB connection and iTunes) or by WiFi? If the latter, was your iPhone connected to a power source.

I ask because if it was by WiFi and you had it on battery power only, the battery could have given up and that would halt things and induce DFU Mode.

Just a few thoughts on this distressing issue.

Ian

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Thanks Ian. The battery actually full because I had it on the charger. The phone never was able to restore. The computer showed a code along with the receiver failed statement.

I took it to Apple today and they looked it over. They weren’t even able to reset and restore to a clean iOS install. They checked fire water damage and some more “in depth” insurrections and called me back in about 30 minutes to let me know they were going to issue me a new phone. I’m writing this reply on my new green iPhone 11 Pro Max. To my surprise, they gave me legit new phone. Phone replacements are usually done with iPhone that are new but have special refurb serial numbers. I’m happy now, and back to planting some fruit trees in my back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Brilliant iggibar.

That's what should happen and it did in your case. Oh, the fun of a new toy - sorry, I meant a critical, essential piece of equipment:loveit

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Want to bet the update further messed up the flicker issue since it was supposed to add to a faster face detection? Your old iPhone had screen issues and now an update that further stressed it. All’s well that ends well! No more arguing and a new iPhone - perfect!

Lisa

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I forgot to mention that when I got the replacement phone, the Apple tech that was doing the investigation said that the screen issue was most likely related to the PWM(Pulse Width Modulation). This is something that was recently introduced in iPhone since the iPhone X and drives the screen at different flickering rates depending on brightness setting. But it's not a guaranteed diagnosis because they never saw the issue occur on my phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.