iPhone 11 dimming outside

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
My iPhone 11 Pro dims dramatically when it’s hot and sunny outside even though I have Auto Brightness off. Once it dims itself, I can’t turn the brightness up and it remains dim until it randomly turns back up or I go indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My first guess would be overheating. Is there a way to keep it cool, even outside, as a test?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have True Tone enabled?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My iPhone 11 Pro dims dramatically when it’s hot and sunny outside even though I have Auto Brightness off. Once it dims itself, I can’t turn the brightness up and it remains dim until it randomly turns back up or I go indoors.

That's normal when the phone get too hot. Same thing will happen when the temperature drops during Winter and you are using your phone outside. See below:

According to Apple, iPhones have an operating temperature ambient situated between 32° and 95° Fahrenheit, that's 0° and 35° Celsius. The manufacturer also provides information about a non-operating temperature interval ranging between -4° to 113° F, that's -20° to 45° C.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.