iPad password application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
A new iPad and I seem to have endless questions ...

I have been using an Android phone with passwdSafe on it. There is no iOS version of passwdSafe (it is a SourceForge app) so I am in the unenviable position of having to re-enter all of my dozens (or hundreds) of passwords again or finding a password application that accepts the passwdSafe file. I do seem to remember from years ago loading one of the password app files into another one and having it be accepted so I thought I would ask before I began the task of downloading and trying each one ...

Any suggestions?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
1Password seems the best option. Try it free for 30 days. Available on multiple platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I say this because many of our members recommend it as well as OnePass but I'm fairly sure you can load passwords from other apps with 1Password and I think there may be an Android version as well. Theoretically that means you may be able to load the trial on android, transfer your data from passwrdSafe then subscribe, then download the iOS version and have all your data synced across.
Otherwise if this doesn't seem to be possible then I would recommend Enpass which is what I use. Unfortunately because of the handy classification system Enpass does not offer transfer of data from other apps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have all those same passwords stored on your Mac in the keychain? If you do, you can then sync the keychain from your Mac with your iPad and the passwords will be available without you having to copy them again. That's one reason why most of use like to keep everything in the Apple eco-system rather than mix the Android system with iOS and macOS.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chscag, Keychain does not even come close to being a replacement for a secure password manager. Take my ING Bank details for example. Under my bank details page I have our account number, our two user numbers, our two passwords, our telephone banking and internet key codes and an additional field with instructions on how to enter them. The same page also has the URL for their home page and the number and expiry date of the connected debit card. Try getting all of that out of keychain.

For ease of use I also store all my CD Key Codes for licenced third party applications like MS Office and my one copy of Windows 10.

I also store copies of my passport, Tax File Number, Social Security CRN, user name, security Q and A's, Medicare number etc, etc, etc.

Yes I do have some of my site login passwords on keychain which offers on iOS to fill password from iCloud (or Enpass). Usually I choose Enpass because I know it's up to date.

Lastly I can now check all of my user name/passwords against the Have You Been pwned list.

Keychain is good for encryption keys, like iPhone and iPad syncing to iCloud, email account passwords for Mail but as a login option for websites I dunno.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I used to use both my Mac and my iPhone, but only stored passwords on my iPhone, but then a couple of years ago I changed to an Android phone. I did that for a couple of reasons - my most used app on the phone was for Audible books and the Audible app on the Android was much, much better than its iOS equivalent (it still is), and the screen on my iPhone (4, I think) was just too small for browsing while the Samsung had a much larger and nicer screen. I seem to remember that I could import the password file from the iPhone into my Android passwsSafe app and just be done with it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time but now, of course, I am dealing with the result of that decision, and have even considered going back to an iPhone again as they now have decent sized screens. If I can find some way to deal with the transition to the iPad I think it would automatically take care of any change back to an iPhone.

Thanks for the above suggestions. I will give them a try, although the cost of 1Password seems awfully high given that there are so many free apps like that running around.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I use LastPass for everything. Has browser plugin and apps for all devices. It's free as well. Sharing requires a premium subscription for $3/month if you want to share passwords with another person. If this is for your own single user use, then it's completely free.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to say thank you for the help to those who posted.

As it turns out I finally found the iOS password app that understands and uses the password file I had been using on my Android phone, so I now no longer have to spend the next month or so re-entering all of that information. A different company, but apparently the file information format matches.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
found the iOS password app that understands

C'mon Mike. Don't keep us in the dark.:) Which app is this? There are many like you who would benefit from your experience.:goofy:loveit

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry. It had not occurred to me that anyone else was in this situation.

I had been using passwdSafe on my Android phone and it turns out the pwSafe application for iOS understands and can use the passwdSafe file. I just copied the password file from my Android phone to my iPad, opened pwSafe and entered the proper password and it was done.

I had been thinking about this problem early this morning when I suddenly realized that I had originally been using the pwSafe app on my old iPhone when I switched to the Android phone and started using passwdSafe and thought that if I could go from iOS to Android, then I could probably go from back from Android of iOS, and I could.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bravo! Thank you Mike. Cheers.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chscag, Keychain does not even come close to being a replacement for a secure password manager.

I agree Rod, however, Keychain works well to remember web site passwords and since it easily syncs between iOS and macOS (and it's free), it's very easy to use. Of course it's not designed to do what a password manager does.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, an easy answer. I got the impression from your first post that passwdSafe was an android only app.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, an easy answer. I got the impression from your first post that passwdSafe was an android only app.

To the best of my knowledge there is not an iOS version of passwdSafe, but it is a SourceForge app so it probably exists on several platforms. Just not Apple.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes well I did have a quick look on the App Store and didn't see it but sometimes the exact spelling is required and I was just looking under the general heading of password managers.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To the best of my knowledge there is not an iOS version of passwdSafe, but it is a SourceForge app so it probably exists on several platforms. Just not Apple.

This SourceForge (people still use this??) is an Android port of a the Password Safe application only available for Windows. Beyond the Android port, there is an iOS port and macOS port, both are paid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.