Ipad model & ios8

Reaction score
I have the mc769b/a model. I believe this to be the ipad 3 without retina. Is this correct, I have pressed software update in settings but nothing loads, will I be able to get ios8?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All iPad 3 models have a retina display. I own an iPad 3 and just recently updated it to iOS 8 without any problems. If your iPad does not have a retina display it's either an iPad 2 or the first iPad Mini. The iPad 1 can not be upgraded to iOS 8.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have the mc769b/a model. I believe this to be the ipad 3 without retina. Is this correct, I have pressed software update in settings but nothing loads, will I be able to get ios8?

mrblue, I have 3 questions, why do you want to update to iOS 8? Do you have a current backup of your iPad and do you realise that you will need to update to OS 10.10 (Yosemite) on your computer in order to use the Handoff features of iOS 8. Not only that but because Handoff uses Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) technology only Mac Book Pro's made after mid 2012 and iMac's late 2012 will be compatible.
This is a good article on the subject; Yosemite's 'Handoff' will work only on Macs less than 2-3 years old | Computerworld
Having said all that iOS 8 is jam packed with changes that will no doubt have you fiddling with preferences and settings for weeks.
Last but not least if you have not received notification of an available software update it may be an indication that you device is not compatible. The above article tells you how to determine this.:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 27" Imac running 10.9
I have model mc770 which IOS8 has substantially slowed. I've bags of spare memory so that isn't the problem. I'm finding IOS8 a royal pita.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.