IPad mini does not connect to wifi

Reaction score
My IPad mini never connects to Wifi networks. It does not even identify them whereas my Macbook and my wife's old IPad 1 connect easily. I have tried everything. I am lost. Please help.

M

MacInWin

Wrong forum. Will a MOD please move this to where it may get better coverage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My IPad mini never connects to Wifi networks. It does not even identify them whereas my Macbook and my wife's old IPad 1 connect easily. I have tried everything. I am lost. Please help.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

First, you've place your post in the wrong forum - I'm sure a mod will change the location soon. Second, provide some more information: 1) What iOS is installed (the newest is 8.0.2); 2) Did this problem occur after an iOS upgrade; 3) What ISP (internet service provider) are you using; 4) What router do you use (brand/model); and 5)What have you done to correct the situation?

But if not already tried, 'Reset' the iPad (i.e. hold the On/Off & the Home buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release and let the device re-boot, then test again); if not effective, go into Settings -> Wi-Fi, select the information circle on the network you are trying to connect to, then choose 'Forget This Network' - finally, try to re-connect to the same network - please post back your results. Dave

OP
J
Reaction score
My IOS is 8,0. This is an hotel router so i do not know what is the internet provider nor do i know what kind of router they are using but I know that I have been in many hotels lately and it just does not connect and does not even show the name of the networks. The only network I can see is my wireless printer's wifi network.
I believe that this difficulty occured after an IOS update because I did not have any such problem before.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My IOS is 8,0. This is an hotel router so i do not know what is the internet provider nor do i know what kind of router they are using but I know that I have been in many hotels lately and it just does not connect and does not even show the name of the networks. The only network I can see is my wireless printer's wifi network.
I believe that this difficulty occured after an IOS update because I did not have any such problem before.

Hello again - first, the most recent iOS release is 8.0.2, so if you are not running that version, then you should upgrade (goto Settings -> About to find your iOS version) - the features and bug fixes (vs. iOS 8.0) are described HERE.

Also, did you 'Reset' your device as explained in my previous post? Let us know if these two suggestions help - Dave :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

As you suggested, I downloaded OS 8,2 and I also restarted my Ipad as suggested with no result whatsoever.
It is exactly the same as before and I continue to be able to connect on my Macbook pro and on my wife's old IPad 1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As you suggested, I downloaded OS 8,2 and I also restarted my Ipad as suggested with no result whatsoever.
It is exactly the same as before and I continue to be able to connect on my Macbook pro and on my wife's old IPad 1.

OK - are you having any other issues w/ your iPad Mini since the recent iOS upgrades? If the upgrade went awry then you may need to 'restore' the iPad, so an important issue to exclude.

Second, let's concentrate just on your home network - please 'power recycle' your modem and router (not sure if you have 2 separate devices or a single unit) - BUT, pull the power cord (or use an on-off switch if present), wait a few minutes and then sequentially restore power to the modem first and then the router - let us know if that helps?

Finally, go into Settings -> Wi-Fi on your iDevice - below is a screenshot of my iPad 2 (personal information has been blued-out) which shows my Wi-Fi is ON and also the local networks (from my router) in my home - what does your iPad Mini show? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 5.57.43 PM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do relative to the power supply/modem/router issue since the latter is located in an hotel. Even at taht, I do not think this is the problem since my Macbook and my wife's old IPad 1 connect to the Wifi network.

I looked at my Wifi settings and they seem to be in line with yours (thanks for sharing).

One additional note : I can see my printer's network on the WiFi settings but cannot see the hotel's network.
The problem seems to be with public WiFi networks ????

Thanks a lot for your help.

M

MacInWin

Got to Settings, WiFi and turn WiFi OFF, then back on, with the slider button. I also have the "Ask to join networks" OFF, so that the iPad will join any network it already knows when I get in range. You may have to tap the "i" in the circle for any networks showing and then tap "Forget this network" to get the iPad to stop connecting to the printer network.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,
Finally, I manages to connect. Here is what i did. First, I resetted the network settings. Nope, it did not want to connect. Then, I got closer to the hotel's main office and then it connected.
But this does not solve my problem.
How come my IPad mini does not have the same connectivity as my Macbook pro and, imagine, as my wife antiguity of IPad 1 ?
This is a problem everytime I go in public places. My mini does not seem to have enough connectivity to connect with farther signals which are well caught by other Apple devices ? Is there any way, I can increase this connectivity ?
Thank you for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.