iPad Mini 4 Apple Trade-In Gone Sour - Do Nothing or Pursue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi All - for the holidays, I bought Susan a new iPad Mini '5' to replace her aging '4' - usually use Apple's 'Trade Ins' for the old devices - have done 3 now w/o a hitch, i.e what $ was promised was delivered - this time I was offered $120 for the Mini 4 and just received the email below stated there was 'physical damage' and a $0 offer was made - the device can be returned to me.

She used the Mini 4 up to the day of arrival of the new one - was protected for 4 yrs or so w/ smart covers x 2; 64 GB/Wi-Fi - display intact, all buttons work, battery is good (using Coconut) - I removed the device from her iCloud account, signed off 'Find My...' and reset the Mini for the next user; shipped free via Fed-Ex in an Apple box sent me - so was the Mini 4 damaged in shipping, what is the 'physical damage' (could diagnostics have found 'something' internal to the point of junking the machine?) - if sent back to me and say the screen is cracked, what recourse do I have? This is frustrating because the machine was in good condition and useable when it was dropped off at Fed-Ex. Any comments appreciated. Thanks. Dave

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 11.34.22 AM.png

M

MBAmtloin

This is a shame, who knows what happened from the time you sent the iPad out from the time someone deemed that worthless.
just dont feel like you miss a step by filming the iPad going into the box. even if you did how can you represent your cause?
at the Apple store yesterday, i overheard many sales people twisting arms and assuring customers into getting a new product as a solution.
just these past couple of years i noticed a greed that they never had in the past.
hopefully this is just an error and everything will be fine, but i doubt that.

you are getting the iPad returned. eh?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MBAmtioin - since I've returned 2-3 old iPads to Apple in the past, did not expect an issue, so no pics (of course, I'd have to 'prove' that my pics were indeed of the iPad sent) were taken (will do next time) - the 'Review your revised value' (in my pic previous post) has two options, i.e. accept the $0 value or return to me - I'll certainly want the old Mini 4 returned to see if there is any outside 'physical damage' which would not have been my fault - where I can go from there is uncertain, but thinking! :) Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Dave:

Wish you had asked first here before sending it in for a trade. Several anecdotes over at MacRumors regarding the same experience.

My understanding is that Apple does not do the verifying of the item for value but in fact use a third party.

Not sure if there is anything you can do at this point in time but most folks agree that it's best to carry the item for trade yourself to an Apple Store.

M

MBAmtloin

Hi Dave:

Wish you had asked first here before sending it in for a trade. Several anecdotes over at MacRumors regarding the same experience.

My understanding is that Apple does not do the verifying of the item for value but in fact use a third party.

Not sure if there is anything you can do at this point in time but most folks agree that it's best to carry the item for trade yourself to an Apple Store.

the only item i exchanged was a cracked screen itouch at the store in 2010 and received full value, that is what i would do, if that is convenient
how is macrumors lately? i accidentally had 2 accounts, and banned for life!

Last edited:
OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave:

Thanks for the above Charlie - I've had 'good luck' w/ Apple on iPad trade-ins, so suspected the usual again, much to my shock since the old iPad was still working fine - have already asked Apple to return my device and will make sure there is NO external physical damage when sent - the outside was pretty pristine and display intact - if that is no longer true, then I'll need to contact 'someone higher up' at Apple (which may be an impossibility - don't know?). Next time, I'll likely deal locally (Apple store is 40 minutes away; Best Buy just 10 mins now they have presumably Apple techs). Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Oh wow! I just sent my iPad 4 in too!!! They offered $120. So far I am waiting for them to evaluate it. I kept it in a case from day one. If they tell me it is damaged I will ask for it back - then raise more “h” than a mule in a tin barn! Especially if it comes back damaged.

This is the first time I have tried the trade-in from Apple. If I had known it was possible to do it at an Apple Store I would have gone that route. I did not know that was an option.

In the past I have always sold or gifted my old apple stuff.

Lisa

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh wow! I just sent my iPad 4 in too!!! They offered $120. So far I am waiting for them to evaluate it. I kept it in a case from day one. If they tell me it is damaged I will ask for it back - then raise more “h” than a mule in a tin barn! Especially if it comes back damaged.

This is the first time I have tried the trade-in from Apple. If I had known it was possible to do it at an Apple Store I would have gone that route. I did not know that was an option.

In the past I have always sold or gifted my old apple stuff.

Lisa

Hi Lisa - good luck! :) In the past, Apple 'Trade-In' has been spot-on for me x 2 or 3 - this time shocked and not knowing why at the moment - the old Mini is being returned and will do what I outlined above in my last post (and hoping that Fed-Ex and/or the Apple 3rd party evaluator did not damage the device?) - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave - Good luck!! I hope it at least comes back in good shape.

I will post what my outcome is when I know.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, so far so good. I got an email saying that in 3-5 days I would receive payment for my iPad mini 4 for $120. Actually it will be a gift card to use at Apple!

Lisa

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, so far so good. I got an email saying that in 3-5 days I would receive payment for my iPad mini 4 for $120. Actually it will be a gift card to use at Apple!

Lisa

Well, good for you, Lisa! That was exactly the 'promise' made to me - so far, my old Mini is being shipped back to me but has not arrived for inspection - will update when possible! Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have since received the gift card .... and spent it on a 2nd Gen Pencil which will be here tomorrow. I am really growing to love my 11” iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard. I was not sure when I got it but now I seem to use it as my primary personal device.

I will be interested to read about what you find when you get your mini back. I also read that Apple was reducing what they were paying for some devices. Usually I give my older stuff away. Actually this is the first item I have sold.

Lisa

M

MBAmtloin

I will be interested to read about what you find when you get your mini back. I also read that Apple was reducing what they were paying for some devices. Usually I give my older stuff away. Actually this is the first item I have sold.

Lisa
I read that as well, I'm stuck either fixing my broken USB port on the ipad gen 5 or upgrade by trade that in for the newer one with the pencil.
just they way  prices exchanges and repairs is too perfectly even.
the iPad i just sitting next to my  computer stuff in a drawer while i decide what to do!

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have since received the gift card .... and spent it on a 2nd Gen Pencil which will be here tomorrow. I am really growing to love my 11” iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard. I was not sure when I got it but now I seem to use it as my primary personal device.

Lisa

Hi Lisa - our old Mini 4 arrived late afternoon - no external physical damage, so as I sent the device to Apple - actually w/ a little light cleaning looks new - hit the top button and came up to do a 'new' setup since I had erased the Mini - now charging (accepted the lightning cable fine) - Apple never responded as to what was meant by 'physical damage', certainly not external?

NOW, deciding what to do - I have 4 options in my mind: 1) Give away to a relative to see if they can use it - limited options for us, and probably not Apple-friendly; 2) Just 'bite the bullet' and recycle at Best Buy; 3) Setup under my iCloud account and have Susan use in the kitchen as a recipe device (she brings her new Mini in and afraid that damage is an issue?); and 4) Go online to another 'sell your iPad' place, explain my situation and see if they might evaluate the old Mini (have several already chosen). Will await some responses - thanks all for any input. Dave

P.S. using Susan's knitting magnifier, I could read the serial number on the back - indeed it is the one I sent them!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I mentioned above, take it to an Apple Store and trade it in there. That is, if there's an Apple Store near enough to make it worth your while. I guess Best Buy could also be an option but I'm not entirely sure I would trust them.

Also, I'm not surprised your iPad had no physical damage. As I stated before, Apple uses a third party to evaluate trade ins and it can vary. Lisa was lucky, you were not.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I mentioned above, take it to an Apple Store and trade it in there. That is, if there's an Apple Store near enough to make it worth your while. I guess Best Buy could also be an option but I'm not entirely sure I would trust them.

Also, I'm not surprised your iPad had no physical damage. As I stated before, Apple uses a third party to evaluate trade ins and it can vary. Lisa was lucky, you were not.

Hi Charlie - thanks for your comments - actually, I've been 'lucky' 3 times before w/ sending my old iPads to Apple, this time failed, I guess - sent an email to another online 'trade in' website and will await their response as to an evaluation; otherwise awaiting Susan's response to using the device in the kitchen, if the latter is decided I'll setup it up again. Dave

M

MBAmtloin

i would keep the iPad, you never know if another one breaks or gets weird.
weird how they deemed your "damaged" tho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, like chscag suggested, if you have an apple store close by see if they will trade it in. I am not sure how that will work if they keep the serial numbers on file for those not accepted by the outside company it just came back from.

Or you can try another IPad seller. If that fails let your wife have it. I would not use the Best Buy recycle option as it still works and I don’t believe they pay anything. If you don’t have a relative who would use it that would be a no go for me. But if you know someone else who needed it and would use it that could be an option.

I tend to give my old apple stuff away. So far I have a daughter using my old S3 watch, my best friend uses my old S2 watch, and another good friend has my S0 watch - all of which are still working. I have my 2009 MacBook running the special lights program at church and my old 2011 MB Pro captures our services. I gave a 2013 MacBook Air to our children’s pastor for the off-site anti-bullying presentations he does in local school. And my son has my previous iPad Mini 3. So this is the first time I have ever sold any of my apple stuff. It worked out but truthfully, if I had seen someone with a need for it I would have given it away.

Lisa

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, like chscag suggested, if you have an apple store close by see if they will trade it in. I am not sure how that will work if they keep the serial numbers on file for those not accepted by the outside company it just came back from.

Or you can try another IPad seller. If that fails let your wife have it. I would not use the Best Buy recycle option as it still works and I don’t believe they pay anything. If you don’t have a relative who would use it that would be a no go for me. But if you know someone else who needed it and would use it that could be an option.

I tend to give my old apple stuff away. So far I have a daughter using my old S3 watch, my best friend uses my old S2 watch, and another good friend has my S0 watch - all of which are still working. I have my 2009 MacBook running the special lights program at church and my old 2011 MB Pro captures our services. I gave a 2013 MacBook Air to our children’s pastor for the off-site anti-bullying presentations he does in local school. And my son has my previous iPad Mini 3. So this is the first time I have ever sold any of my apple stuff. It worked out but truthfully, if I had seen someone with a need for it I would have given it away.

Lisa

Thanks All for the comments - I really do not want to recycle the device for nothing, but basically what Apple was going to do! I sent an email to this online SITE and will await their response - I explained what happened w/ Apple and hope that they will be willing to assess the old Mini (their online offer was $110). If that fails, then I may simply set it up and have Susan use at home for a 'dedicated' purpose, such as a kitchen recipe device?

NOW, in a few days we are going to a hotel in Greensboro (40 min drive) and eat at their excellent restaurant (birthday gift for her this month) - the Apple store is across the street in a shopping center - they can easily look up the 'rejection' but not sure that a re-assessment would occur, i.e. don't want to waste an hour or two at the genius bar since Apple has already rejected the device? Hoping that the linked site will reply and be willing to help? Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I re-cycled an older mini into a server for my home theater. It's "headless" but the TV acts as the monitor for it. Even if you don't have a theater, you could use it with your TV as a server fro streaming. And I have a very old iMac serving as my home automation controller. So there are lots of uses for equipment that operates but which has been replaced.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.