iPad is stuck in infinite 'boot up loop'. how do I reset?

Reaction score
I have a 3rd generation iPad that's a WiFi only model and the 64GB model.
I have been using a version of iOS 7 on it for awhile and at times it would mysteriously reboot. I could be in the middle of using it or I could even not be using it at all and simply see it restart.
With the release of iOS 8 I installed the new version hoping it may fix this issue. Sadly it got much worse. I was able to get into the device a few times but for the last 5-6 days I can't get into it. It simply is stuck into a constant reboot loop. It shows the Apple logo like it's restarting but it never fully restarts. It makes a sound like a beep and then begins restarting once again. This is a never ending loop. I even left it unplugged so that the battery would run down and then plugged it in again but that didn't help. I also read on Google how you can put it into restore mode by pressing the home button while connecting to the computer/iTunes but that also didn't help.
I don't know if upgrading to iOS 8.0.2 will fix the problem. Probably not but I've never done a reset. The iPad was backed up about 2 weeks ago to iCloud so I'd like to get into it if possible to do a factory reset and wipe the device so that I can upgrade to iOS 8.0.2 and then reinstall all apps. Yet I don't know how to do this if I can't get into the device.
I have tried the reset where I hold down the sleep/wake button the same time as the home button but that doesn't help. I also tried connecting it to iTunes to do a reset but it won't let me do anything with it unless I enter the passcode on the iPad and it never boots to the point of where I can do that. Also, I thought of doing a reset on iCloud (marking it as a lost iPad to do a reset) but I realize this will only work if it boots enough to get to iCloud.
Unfortunately this is the one Apple device that I didn't get AppleCare on so there is not a warranty on it. I hope I'm able to somehow do a hard reset on it without booting it. That is my hope but if I have to take it into Apple would there be a charge for this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it to Apple, but make sure it's an Apple Store not an authorized Apple repair service. Apple won't charge for diagnostics but an authorized repair service will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Try putting the iPad into DFU Mode

1. First run iTunes on your computer.
2. Now plug the iPad into your computer with the USB cable.
3. Press and hold down the sleep/wake (power) button and the home button at the same time.
4. Hold them down for 10 seconds.
5. Release the sleep/wake button but continue to hold down the home button for 5 more seconds.
6. The iPad screen will stay black, and iTunes will prompt that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode

And see if that helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! That solved the problem. I was able to get iTunes to recognize it and I'm doing a restore now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Good to hear. Glad you have your iPad back now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.