iPad + iPhone on one iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Since I am already planning to get an iPad for our household, I am wondering how iTunes on a Mac or PC handles being the home base for more than one device.

Surely some of you out there already have experience with this situation from having an iPhone and an iPod or similar arrangement, and I assume iTunes is built for it. I would appreciate hearing from you on how that works out. Is it easy to set up with the newer second device? Can you have the entire music library on one device, and just certain selected items on another?

Obviously I am hoping to hear things like, "yeah, no problem it works great." But if there are issues I'd rather hear about them now. :)

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
yeah, no problem it works great. Sorry but thats the truth. As for as your whole library , well that would of course be determined by the storage size of the device and the size of you library.

Clay

OP
tiger roach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Excellent. Thanks Clay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
We have 2 iPods registered with both of our computers (Dell WinXP, MBP SL). Works fine on both. When you plug it in or sync it and open iTunes, it will show up on the left and you can manage it however you prefer. And I'm sure you know that you can either sync your device or manually manage your content. iTunes remembers your preferences on a device-by-device basis. So if you already have an iPod, iTouch, or iPhone set up with your computer, now you'll have another device (iPad) set up. I don't even know if it's possible to have iTunes recognize more than one device at a time. I've never tried it out of fear of screwing things up. *shrug*

OP
tiger roach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Just as I was hoping, thanks.

Is it April yet? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.53 GHz, 4GB Ram, 250GB HD > 2TB TC > 16GB iPhone 3G
I have my iPod Nano & my iPhone connected to iTunes with no problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.53 GHz, 4GB Ram, 250GB HD > 2TB TC > 16GB iPhone 3G
/me looks... umm yeah they are both listed, simultaneously ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I have about 8 or 9 iPods of various ages, plus an iPhone.

I don't actually connect more than one at a time, but they are all recognised by iTunes when they connect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.