Ipad ios4...flash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For starters, it seems to run more efficient and less demanding in Windows machines (in my little experience with my new MBP that is).

Besides that, Android 2.2, rooted Android 1.1 and other devices are running it just fine. :D

Web Browsing Performance on Android 2.2 Hampered by Flash Compatibility

Furthermore, while the demonstration appears to show adequate ability to play Flash-based games, the browser's ability to deal with Flash content on a fluid basis as integrated into a webpage seems less impressive. Flash elements lead to stuttering while scrolling and zooming on webpages with Flash content, and even resulted in a low memory warning requiring the tester to actively manage the currently open applications on the test device.

The Effect of Flash on Android's Web Browsing Experience

One thing that does concern us is the clear inconsistency in the experience. It takes a few seconds to figure out how a player works (if it works well at all), and we'd like to see some more standardization. Almost every video we tried worked, but some had bad sound or unusable controls. Also, the phone got disconcertingly hot.

"Just fine" may be good enough for Android users, but it's not good enough for Steve Jobs. Adobe will have to improve Flash by leaps and bounds before Apple will include it in its mobile devices.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
For starters, it seems to run more efficient and less demanding in Windows machines (in my little experience with my new MBP that is).
Adobe has admitted that Flash is tailored to Windows and the Mac and Linux builds are built from that (can't find source right now). That is why Flash works well on Windows machines. Until Adobe starts treating each platform more equally, it's going to remain that way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Adobe has admitted that Flash is tailored to Windows and the Mac and Linux builds are built from that (can't find source right now). That is why Flash works well on Windows machines. Until Adobe starts treating each platform more equally, it's going to remain that way.

To me another way to look at it is:

Flash does not work WELL in Windows, it works better in Windows than it does under OSX! :D

That said, Flash 10.1 here (Like I said in another post), is a lot better especially on my G5 iMac that was using 100% CPU on every You Tube video before Flash 10.1 and now maybe 65-70% and the videos are now totally watchable and quite smooth.

I believe if Adobe really tried, they could make Flash work with the iPhone (and the Android also) and be quite useable. Besides Kash's excellent URL's on the Android, I have seen tests showing battery life going WAY down using a lot of Flash on the Android. That is one of the points Steve Jobs mentioned.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Flash does not work WELL in Windows, it works better in Windows than it does under OSX! :D [...] I believe if Adobe really tried, they could make Flash work with the iPhone (and the Android also) and be quite useable. Besides Kash's excellent URL's on the Android, I have seen tests showing battery life going WAY down using a lot of Flash on the Android. That is one of the points Steve Jobs mentioned.
That's a better way of phrasing it. :) The problems associated with Flash aren't limited to non-Windows platforms but it sure seems okay going to a Windows machine and viewing Flash content if you're used to a Mac!

Flash is a battery drainer and I'm having a hard time believing that regardless of Adobe's best efforts, it will get better for mobile devices. With ever increasing demand for rich content, delivered through the Flash platform, I find it hard to imagine Adobe lowering battery usage while keeping up with content demands.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Van, agreed on the battery life part. No matter what Adobe does I see Battery life suffering at least somewhat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Flash 10.1 is GPU accelerated for Windows, not yet for OS X and Linux. By putting forth such a half-hearted attempt, Adobe really has no leg to stand on when complaining about Flash being harangued by companies like Apple. Adobe either needs to get serious about improving Flash or just stop crying when people complain about how bad it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hope a final version is released soon. It is very annoying to have my Macbook's fans whir up every time I visit a site that uses Flash.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You won't be getting that hardware acceleration with your MacBook so it may not make a difference: "Gala allows developers to preview Flash Player with hardware acceleration of H.264 video on supported Mac computers equipped with the following GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You won't be getting that hardware acceleration with your MacBook so it may not make a difference: "Gala allows developers to preview Flash Player with hardware acceleration of H.264 video on supported Mac computers equipped with the following GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M."

In fairness to Adobe, that's actually Apple's restriction since those are the only GPUs they support in their new API.

I will say the gala preview is much better than the current 10.1 version, but it still needs work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was that support decision made on technical limitation grounds or is this an "Apple wants to control who gets it" situation? Is the gala preview any better than the regular version of Flash when it comes to non-HA content?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Was that support decision made on technical limitation grounds or is this an "Apple wants to control who gets it" situation? Is the gala preview any better than the regular version of Flash when it comes to non-HA content?

I can't answer why Apple did it, maybe someone else knows.

I don't think gala is any better on on-HA content, but I do think Flash's main issue on the Mac has been the lack of acceleration that Windows has had, so on newer Macs, it brings it closer to parity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.