iPad backup with MBP

Reaction score
I would like to back up the songs from my wife's iPad to my MBP. When I connected them, however, nothing happened but I had the cloud turned on. Here are a few questions:

a) Do i need to log out my Apple id and sign on with hers?

b) In order not to commingle the songs on my iPad with hers, I created a separate library to sync with her iPad, is this the correct approach?

c) How can I just back up the songs, books and perhaps the photos only?

d) She noticed that the responses are getting slow when handwriting, popping up the game pages etc., what seems to be the problem please? She was thinking of resetting the iPad, would that help?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have the same Apple/iCloud ID on both devices?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There are of course other ways. For example you could use iMazing which many of us do now for iPhone and iPad backups;
Launch iMazing and connect your device to your Mac or PC.
Select your device in the sidebar, then select "Music".
Select the music you want to export and click "Export to Folder".
Select a location and customize your export.
Transfer your Music.
This is obviously an easy way if you have iMazing.iMazing Store
I'm not promoting this app in particular, as you can see it's $45-50 depending on your subscription, but I can say it's my choice for iOS backups these days and offers a lot more options than macOS iTunes. I swapped over when iTunes stopped supporting app management.
There may be other ways and apps available but Apple doesn't make it easy to sidestep copyright which is fair enough.
Family Sharing on the other hand makes two individual users into one.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll second use of iMazing for this situation because you can choose what to backup. iTunes, for example, doesn't handle photo transfer or app management I almost suggested that earleir but I was wondering about other options. BTW iMazing can often be found as part of software bundles for less than the retail price when included as part of Mac software bundles.

There are other similar programs such as iExplorer and a few others. I've used both iMazing and iExplorer but prefer iMazing. Ymmv

I have no connection with any of the software mentioned other than being a customer. .

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ditto! I think it was a bit cheaper when I bought it but given its flexibility and options it's probably still worth it. there are coupon sites like this one but I couldn't vouch for their legitimacy. 75% Off Imazing.com Code & Coupon Codes - Apr. 2019 Apart from Black Friday deals I tend to stay away from these sites.

Although this one looks legit; iMazing Coupon Code: Get Instant 50% Discount - April, 2019 (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe you could create a new User account on your MBP for your wife?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's lateral thinking Bob. Still she may have a user account on another computer already and it won't allow transfer of music between users, even on the same device.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
From the OP:

Do i need to log out my Apple id and sign on with hers?

Therein lies the difficulty. iMazing 2 should be okay (I'm a big fan of it too), but Family Sharing & other accounts won't work, as far as I know.

Quote from Rod's Link in post #3 above:
"With Family Sharing, your family members can share iTunes, Apple Books, and App Store purchases, an Apple Music Family Subscription and more" and "Review your settings and make sure that you use the same Apple ID everywhere".

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's lateral thinking Bob. Still she may have a user account on another computer already and it won't allow transfer of music between users, even on the same device.
Correct, but if she has her account, on any PC (macOS/winOS), then the files can be synced to that PC.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True that would put all her iTunes library on one device and that may be all that's necessary but I got the impression that her husband would like to add her music to his library.

OP
P
Reaction score
No she want her songs to be separate. As a matter of fact, i ensured that both the iPad and MBP have the same account logged on but it still did not work. SO, for amazing, how does the licence count? Based upon Apple id or the physical computer or device? What if I purchase new products later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No she want her songs to be separate.
What exactly does that mean? If she purchased the music, using her iPad, then they can still be downloaded to any PC, using the web. What apps were used to buy the music? google Play? Amazon? iTunes? Something else? All of those have the ability to download her purchases to any PC.

If you create a new User account on your MBP, then she can sync (& backup) everything on her iPad to that, as well as iCloud.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Perhaps I got the wrong idea from the start. I thought you wanted to download her music to your computer and keep it seperate.
If what you want is to offload and save content on her iPad then what Ferrar suggests is definitely the simplest way to do that, and it's free. This assumes you have enough storage for a second user.

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With her own user account she will be able to backup her iPad, have her own music and Photos libraries and choose what she wants to keep on her iPad and store the rest. She can also restore and update the device as required.

Sent from my iPhone

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Of course you'll need to be prepared to share your computer.

Sent from my iPhone

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.