iPad and iPhones losing WIFI

Reaction score
For some reason, our two iPads and my wife's iPhone keep losing the WIFI signal in the house. The WIFI is showing that it's connected in 'Settings' but there is no connection. The only way to right this is to switch the iPads off and on again. If we do this, the WIFI works OK for a few hours before vanishing again. The strange thing is that it can happen that one iPad is connected to WIFI, whereas the other is not.
Thanks in advance for comments.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The strange thing is that it can happen that one iPad is connected to WIFI, whereas the other is not.
So, it's not both that are disconnecting, just the one? And not the iPhone? I have to admit that last sentence slightly confused me.

WiFi uses a frequency that is used by a lot of other radio service, including Bluetooth, radio remotes, wireless landline phones, etc. So it is susceptible to interference from other devices that may be nearby. Did this dropping out just start suddently? Did you do anything to maybe change the location of other devices that could be triggering interference? Do you have neighbors close by, like in an apartment or duplex house that may have done something? Any new devices (TVs, speakers, anything wireless)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi - same questions as Jake, but for starters 'power recycle' your modem and router (if those are your internet devices), i.e. just unplug both, wait about a minute, then replug modem followed by router - may sort out the router addresses for your devices - also make sure that one of your devices is not setting up a 'hot spot' which is often a slow signal. Dave

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks to both for your replies.

Further to Jake: what I mean is that sometimes my iPad will lose its connection to the home WIFI. I say to my wife, "It's gone again!" But she may say, "Mine's still OK". This could refer to either her iPhone or her iPad because she uses both in the house. I must confess that I have not checked whether her iPhone and her iPad are both gone. Another time, she might lose her connection but my iPad is still OK. (I should add that although I have an iPhone, I very rarely have it on and never on in the house.)

It's a bit crude, but the only way thus far that we've been able to get the connection back is to switch off the device concerned. Usually, when we switch it on again a minute or so later, things will be OK. We live in a block of flats and I can see lots of different networks (neighbours) when I look via my MPB, which BTW, is only ever connected to Ethernet.

Such a WIFI disconnection might occur three or four times a day ... to her and/or to me.

We do use her iPhone as a hotspot for our two iPads and my MPB when we are away from home. (I've just looked at her iPhone and noticed that "personal hotspot" was "on" with "allow others to join" also selected. I've turned both "off" because we obviously don't need a hotspot when we are at home.)

Further to 'RadDave', we just have the one router/modem; this unit is provided by the company from which we get our telephone and internet. But I will try your suggestion about switching it off for a minute and then back on again.

Thanks again ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We live in a block of flats and I can see lots of different networks (neighbours) when I look via my MPB, which BTW, is only ever connected to Ethernet.
Could very well be the issue. Not much you can do about it as your neighbors put more devices in play around you, or move them about, changing the patterns of the signals. Sorry about that.
It's a bit crude, but the only way thus far that we've been able to get the connection back is to switch off the device concerned.
Rather than that brute force, try going to Airplane mode for a few seconds. When the device comes out of Airplane mode, it will "search" for the signals again. The same thing happens on on/off, but it's quicker.

Turn off hotspot until you need it. That saves a signal going out, which is good for the battery life AND for connectivity.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your swift reply ... will bear those points in mind.
But I've just checked again with my wife and she tells me that she never uses WIFI for her phone when in the house! If her iPad connection fails, she uses her iPhone hotspot rather than my switch-off / switch-on method. Will not linger for now ... conking out (hope that English term is understood across the pond!) ... but I'll definitely try your 'Airplane' suggestion. Also the 'hotspot' suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I've just checked again with my wife and she tells me that she never uses WIFI for her phone when in the house!
Good night. For the first comment of the new day, how is she NOT using WiFi in the house? The only way to not use WiFi is to turn WiFi off, which leaves just cellular data and bluetooth. BT is short range, so that's not going to get her much connectivity. Cellular can handle the range, if you are in an area of strong cell signals, but typically the data speeds on cellular are lower than on WiFi through your router. Ditto for her iPad using the hotspot versus the router to your ISP. The hotspot will be slower in 99% of the cases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Good night. For the first comment of the new day, how is she NOT using WiFi in the house? The only way to not use WiFi is to turn WiFi off, which leaves just cellular data and bluetooth. BT is short range, so that's not going to get her much connectivity. Cellular can handle the range, if you are in an area of strong cell signals, but typically the data speeds on cellular are lower than on WiFi through your router. Ditto for her iPad using the hotspot versus the router to your ISP. The hotspot will be slower in 99% of the cases.
Well, my surprise also, i.e. 'she NOT using WiFi in the house' - whenever our iPhones are available to a Wi-Fi network (either on the road or in the house), then I always choose that option (usually faster and also possibly less costly) - agree w/ Jake, use Wi-Fi w/ the phones when available. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.