ipad air 2

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an iPad air and am wondering if I can use my iMac wireless connection to use the iPad around the house? I live in a semi rural area and local wireless networks are scarce.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thinking about getting an iPad air and am wondering if I can use my iMac wireless connection to use the iPad around the house? I live in a semi rural area and local wireless networks are scarce.

Hello - I just ordered an iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi only, which will connect easily to my wireless home network which is created w/ Time-Warner broadband cable & an Airport Extreme router.

You need to really provide more details about your home network, if present: 1) What do you mean by 'iMac wireless connection' - assume your iMac has Wi-Fi activated and you are connecting to the internet in that fashion; 2) What type of broadband service enters your house (e.g. cable, DSL, satellite)? and 3) Do you have a wireless router?

An iPad has two options for wireless connection, i.e. Wi-Fi built into all iPads and optional cellular SIM card w/ a data plan - I'll stop there and let you provide some more information - difficult to respond to your question(s) w/o some facts. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
I am a novice at this. My iMac is connected to the internet with an ethernet cable. No wi-fi in the house otherwise. Since the iMac has a wi-fi system I was thinking that I could connect to the iMac with the iPad and use it around the house. I do not have a wireless router but am thinking that in order to do what I want I will need one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am a novice at this. My iMac is connected to the internet with an ethernet cable. No wi-fi in the house otherwise. Since the iMac has a wi-fi system I was thinking that I could connect to the iMac with the iPad and use it around the house. I do not have a wireless router but am thinking that in order to do what I want I will need one.

It works fine for us with the iMac left On and it's wi-fi enabled and Internet Sharing over Wi-Fi selected.

Just make sure to give the iMac a proper name you can recognize easily to connect to.

Basically you're turning your Internet connected iMac into a wireless router and it works well. Even for visiting Windows laptop users. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thanks for the information - your iMac has a Wi-Fi radio that can connect to a wireless network if available which is not true in your house; thus, the iPad cannot really connect to your iMac in that fashion.

I'm assuming that you have an ISP (Internet Service Provider) who is bringing in a broadband connection (likely cable or possibly DSL, Digital Subscriber Line) to a modem and an ethernet cable connects the modem to your iMac - correct? If so, you need to purchase a 'wireless' router (or contact your ISP to see if they offer a 'combo' device, i.e. a modem + router which they would likely setup) and attach it between your modem & your computer, and then setup the Wi-Fi network - your iPad will then be able to have a Wi-Fi connection.

Since your needs seem to be simple at this point (i.e. don't know how many other Wi-Fi devices are in your house, but as an example, in my home, wife and I have iPads; she has an iPhone & I an iPod, all using Wi-Fi; in addition, my HDTV & Blu-Ray player are Wi-Fi compatible; and finally we have two Roku devices that work on Wi-Fi), I would suggest looking at Apple's AirPort Express router, but many other brands and models exist, including Apple's AirPort Extreme which I use. Hope this helps. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for the information - your iMac has a Wi-Fi radio that can connect to a wireless network if available which is not true in your house; thus, the iPad cannot really connect to your iMac in that fashion.
… … ….
… ...

I'm sorry RadDave, but that is all completely erroneous information you're stating.

See my previous post!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry RadDave, but that is all completely erroneous information you're stating.

See my previous post!!!

Thanks Pm-r for the clarification - just my ignorance since I've never used my computers Wi-Fi radios as kind of a 'hotspot' - I've been on routers for years (on my fourth one) and felt that was the best option, so my error. And apologies to Retinaz for being misleading in my response, although an alternate solution - please let us know how all works out for you. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Very simple solution, follow below for setup.

On your iMac:

System Preferences > Sharing > Check the "Internet Sharing" box > Share your connection from Ethernet > To computers using: Wi-Fi > Set Wi-Fi options (network name, channel, security, etc.)

On your iPad:

Settings > Wi-Fi > Choose the Wi-Fi network which you set on your iMac > Enter security key (if you added it on the Wi-Fi setup options on the iMac)

C

chas_m

Be aware that the range on an iMac set up as a wi-Fi hotspot is way way less than a proper Wi-Fi router. The ability of Macs to act as Wi-Fi hotspots is a useful ability in a pinch, but is not designed to be a permanent solution and doesn't have very good range.

I'd strongly suggest buying an Airport Extreme or similar router, and setting up your own Wi-Fi network.

OP
R
Reaction score
I am grateful for all the help and suggestions posted about my inquiry. I have decided to buy a quality wireless router so my house will be wi-fi ready.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.