iPad Air 1 rebooting every 4 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I need some help. I have an iPad Air gen 1 (Wi-Fi only) that is having issues. The device cycles the power off and on about every 3-4 minutes. It does not matter what you are doing, if it is sitting there untouched it will cycle off and on. This isn’t just having the screen go black, it reboots and the screen is the white screen with the apple logo. Also, the battery charge indicator will drop to 1%, and inform you that the battery is low, and when you plug it in, or reboot it, the level indicator goes back to normal. The screen and battery were just replaced, but it was doing this before the replacement.

The software has been updated, and the device has been wiped clean, with no change.

I have searched the internet and can't find a solution. Any ideas?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

The battery on the iPad 1 is shot and isn't providing enough juice to stay alive. Once it shuts down, since the draw on the battery is removed, the capacity likely spikes up and it thinks it can start up but as the draw reaches the limit, it shuts down again.

Since the iPad 1 is ancient, not sure if it's worth the money to replace the battery.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The screen and battery were just replaced, but it was doing this before the replacement.

Notice that he said the screen and battery were just replaced.

If the iPad was doing the same thing before you had the screen and battery replaced, then there is something else that's broken. Take it back to where you had the work done and let them repair it right this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Lots of possible fixes just googling the subject, i.e.:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=5pypWuOkDsve8AeutYawBg

And one working solution:
Cannot find who gave me the idea of unplugging my charger and when iPad starts up plug it into the outlet...... It WORKED... STOPPING THE CONSTANT LOOPING!
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/208197/iPad+3+restarts+every+3+minutes

Try that or some of the other google hits. And I guess the fix of the problem wasn't part of the recent repair requests or was it even mentioned. But pretty had to miss unless it was working OK at the repair shop. :Blushing:

BTW: I just noticed this recent Apple kb article right from the mothership:
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch unexpectedly restarts
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208332

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Notice that he said the screen and battery were just replaced.

If the iPad was doing the same thing before you had the screen and battery replaced, then there is something else that's broken. Take it back to where you had the work done and let them repair it right this time.

Oops, totally missed that little detail. :) If the problem existed before the battery replacement as well as after, it might be a worse off issue with electronics that might definitely not warrant a fix.

The newer iPad Mini's and Air's are significantly faster than the first gen iPad and might be time for an upgrade.

OP
V
Reaction score
Inew Battery

I just put a brand new battery in it. It acted this way before the new battery was installed also.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the new battery doesn't fix the issue, the only other thing is the logicboard which you can likely find on eBay and try your luck with that.

OP
V
Reaction score
I was the repair guy

I was the one that replaced the screen and battery, So taking it back to that guy has already resulted in a dead end. I'll try some of the other fixes suggested, and I'll try and hut down a logic board.

Give me a week or so and I'll get back to you with an update.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was the one that replaced the screen and battery, …

Hmmm…??? Any other little details we should know about that haven't been mentioned that might help with a solution…??? :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.