iPad 3 keys go black

Reaction score
ipad 3 keys blacked out on keyboard

After updating to ios 8.1.2 :

When I get the "sign in to icloud" message, my keyboard (on screen) keys are mostly blacked out.
There is a $ where it should be but I need to use the letter keys too.
Pressing the ABC key to choose the lettered keys makes no difference. The keyboard changes to letters but mostly blacked out.
this is on my ipad3 which just went to the apple logo on black screen after sitting on the home screen for a short while.
If I press the home button twice to see what's open( if the ipad hasn't just reset...), I get open apps which display logos on the
bottom part of screen, but black rectangles where there should be a screen shot of the open app.
I have done hard reset many times but the problem still reoccurs.
ipad 3 continues to go to white apple on black screen, instead of the home screen to enter passcode.
therefore, I am uable to check but I think 64 gig and ios 8.1.2 .
appreciate any advice !
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, quite peculiar - first, when you refer to 'hard reset', did you hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appeared, then released the buttons to allow the iPad to reboot? If not, give that maneuver a try.

Did your 8.x upgrade go as expected? If not, you may need to 'Restore' the device (there are plenty of google hits on the topic); if that does not help, then putting your iPad into 'Recovery' mode may help (again plenty of hits, such as HERE); finally, one of the last options is to put the device into DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode - description HERE - please provide the requested information and post back as you perform each of the steps outlined. Dave :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi,
yes, I did hold down the on-off button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appeared. and the ipad reboots, however, this takes a really long time, like 10 minutes.

yes, the upgrade of ios 8.1.2 did seem to go without a hitch, execpt that it asks me to log into
the itunes store(not as previously stated, the icloud) and I am unable to do so due the blacked out keys on the keyboard.
I need to leave for awhile but will continue with the procedures you mentioned when I return.
Thanks

OP
G
Reaction score
Oh...Kay..
Hmmm...Well I did do the restore technique as pointed to in the first link you provided.
Most of the way through, it jumped out of it and error message "unknown error occurred
(9006)" was on the screen of the mac with itunes on it(to which I hooked up my ipad3.
The ipad then appeared to work, the on screen keyboard had all the keys visible and I signed
into the itunes store and began some updates. Part way through, however, it jumped back to
the white apple on black background and now I am waiting again for it to finish whatever it is
doing. I am advised in the error message to make sure my network settings are correct etc
and I have hughesnet so maybe the lag time is at work here-although it has not affected updates in the past. 15 minutes after the white apple, it jumps to the home screen. Double clicking on the home button shows the same blacked out screen shots for apps with the app logo at the bottom of the screen so I guess it's not fixed yet.

OP
G
Reaction score
I did the recovery again this morning. It seemed to go without a hitch.
The ipad3 seems to work as normal so I will give it awhile and see how
things are.

Thanks so much for your help !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I did the recovery again this morning. It seemed to go without a hitch.
The ipad3 seems to work as normal so I will give it awhile and see how
things are.

Thanks so much for your help !

GREAT! Hope that all stays corrected (if any little glitches, try another HARD RESET - I usually do an extra one after any upgrade or major update) - Dave :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Well, Dang....
Here we go again..
The same symptoms as before, even after I did a complete restore as per above, this afternoon,
which was prompted by the symptoms of blacked out stuff and the white apple on black screen
showing up again.
Double click home button shows the apps open at the bottom of the screen, but a blank black
rectangle for the app above it. Spotlight search shows a mostly blacked out keyboard, same as
above.

Appreciate any advice !

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.