IP Address constantly on screen

Reaction score
Hi all,

Kind of embarrassed to make this my first post... I'm sure it's simple but is driving me nuts. For the past couple of weeks my screen constantly shows my IP address followed by "- SFTP" in a small grey bubble above the menu bar. I can't figure out how to turn it off, and can't find any info on the forums or google.

Can anybody help me with this? I'm using OSX Mavericks 10.9.5.

Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you take a screenshot (CMD+SHIFT+4) of the region and paste it here?

Reaction score
"Above" the menubar? I gotta see this...

OP
D
Reaction score
Whoops - meant to say "dock"

Sorry, my bad - I meant to say "dock" not menu bar! Off to a great start here :Oops:

Here's a screen.

Thanks,

dock-screen.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What apps are running besides iTunes, Word and Excel?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi,

Apps running are: Excel, Word, Safari, Terminal, Messages, mail, Vim, Calendar, iTunes... I tried closing them though - no difference.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you quit them instead of simply closing all the windows? Did you happen to connect, through SFTP, to a remote directory from the Bash prompt (since might change the title of your Terminal window).

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry for late response - I had a night class (night time here). I quit all applications (cmd+q) and checked under "force quit" to make sure they weren't running.

I had ssh'd into a raspberry pi about 2 months ago to copy some files to it, not sure if that could be the culprit? But there are no running shells on my machine since that time. Title of my terminal windows is "username - bash - 80x24"

Reaction score
I went looking for some app or widget that might do that but the SFTP part got me...
Thought maybe Netstat?
Don't know of anything that does notifications there except maybe the old Growl.
I'm assuming you ssh'd through Terminal? That wouldn't do that, unless you got some weird driver for the Pi.
I'm stumped.
Maybe a list of processes from Activity Monitor might give a clue?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hey, actually I think you've led me on the right path with your questions cradom. I used cyberduck for sftp, but when I left the house where the pi is located I shut the lid without closing connections properly. I guess I'll try going back over there and re-connecing, then disconnecting properly. Probably won't do squat but worth a shot at least...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It looks like one of those odd glitches that comes from an unexpected operation (a bad quit in this case). The solution to this might be as simple as opening and closing Cyberduck properly.

OP
D
Reaction score
Tried that, no change. I'll try to reconnect to the pi when I get a chance. Hope I'm not just stuck with it. Sounds trivial, but it's a bit annoying. Also, I'd like to know for sure what it is - the paranoid in me is wondering if it's a security threat...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Tried that, no change. I'll try to reconnect to the pi when I get a chance. Hope I'm not just stuck with it. Sounds trivial, but it's a bit annoying. Also, I'd like to know for sure what it is - the paranoid in me is wondering if it's a security threat...

Go to Activity Monitor…and check "All Process's" or "My Process's"…and see if there are any operations that could indicate something (like an app running that you weren't thinking of). Especially if it's an "auto-loading" app.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
pigoo3 - tried that too. No apps running I don't recognise. Plenty of processes I know know what they're for, but nothing really jumping at me.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this persist across reboots?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.