iOS8 workaround?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
It's been suggested that one can get around having to delete everything on your iPhone and/or iPad in order to install iOS8 by linking to your computer and downloading that way. Here's the link with the full explanation: iOS 8 Requires 5GB to Download: How to Get It Without Deleting Anything

What do you folks think? Safe? Workable?

Hello - we've addressed this issue in another thread HERE (checkout the second page) - an OTA (over the air) iOS 8 upgrade will require about 4.6 GB of free storage, but if you upgrade cabled via iTunes less storage is needed since a computer's HD can be used to help complete the process - interestingly, I've tried to find out how much LESS storage would be needed on an iDevice using iTunes but have not been successful. Dave :)

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Thanks RadDave. No Camera Roll? I'm sticking with 7! How is it that Apple never mentions what they've removed when there's an update - just extols the new features.

C

chas_m

Because nothing got removed, just renamed and re-filed.

I find it FASCINATING that the few fans of Camera Roll are really coming out of the woodwork. People **hated** Camera Roll and found it very confusing because it is NOTHING like the way photos are organized in iPhoto. So now Photos *does* organize pictures in a fashion very similar to iPhoto, and we still get complaints. Talk about a no-win situation!

Reaction score
Because nothing got removed, just renamed and re-filed.

I find it FASCINATING that the few fans of Camera Roll are really coming out of the woodwork. People **hated** Camera Roll and found it very confusing because it is NOTHING like the way photos are organized in iPhoto. So now Photos *does* organize pictures in a fashion very similar to iPhoto, and we still get complaints. Talk about a no-win situation!

I don't usually disagree with you chas. I don't see the point of the opinion here. This is the second thread i have seen you defending the dumping of Camera Roll. I am sure there are people that hated Camera Roll and people who really liked it like myself. If we want the new features of iOS 8 then one trade off is getting used to a new way to keep photos organized.

I know you are better at putting together posts than I. Sometimes i am not able to get my thoughts across in a intelligent manor. So i am just gonna say this.

I liked Camera Roll it was easy for me to find my photos and do what i wanted with them. I use my iPhone for work more than some and i wish they would have gave me the option to keep it the way it is.

You like the new system which is good for you and i am happy for that. Not everyone feels your way or has your opinion though.

iOS 8 is a win. Some aspects may take getting used to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.