iOS16.5 update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
I have just completed an automatic update to iOS16.5 on my I phone 13 which is rather strange because my I phone (and I-pad) were already running with iOs 16.5. Not sure what has happened.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Are you sure these iDevices weren’t on 16.4.1 (a) or similar? I’m not insulting you; it’s just that 16.5 was only released a day or two ago so you are implying that you were one of the first to download 16.5 and that it re-installed the same update over the existing one?

Could it be you downloaded, but didn’t actually install the “earlier version”?

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Monterey 12.2 iMac 24-inch,2021 Apple M1 8GB
Yes I'm very sure as I checked which version I was running as when I installed the iPad and notice't it was the same 16.5 I then checked my iPhone which I had not updated and that was also running version 16.5.. I have automatic update selected but normally I'm ask to enter my security password before it installs, which this update did. One thing I noticed the down load took about the same length of time to download, but the installation was unusually quick. Which I now wonder if it was already installed but I have not updated for at least a week.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
normally I'm ask to enter my security password before it installs, which this update did.

Which I now wonder if it was already installed but I have not updated for at least a week.

I agree with all you’ve said. But your statement above gives credence to my suggestion that the updates were downloaded but not installed. That’s the only explanation I can offer - right or ;);)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have just completed an automatic update to iOS16.5 on my I phone 13 which is rather strange because my I phone (and I-pad) were already running with iOs 16.5. Not sure what has happened.

Did you maybe have the beta version installed?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.