IOS Updates killing iPad Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
On 9/18/14 I attempted to update to IOS 8.0.1 and received the message, "iPad could not be updated as unknown error occurred (17)". I have Applecare on my iPadAir and used the phone contacts. The Senior advisor could not bring my iPad back to life and scheduled an appointment at the Genius Bar. The Genius restored the iPad, I re-installed most of the deleted data and all seemed OK. On 9/27/14 I attempted to install an Update to IOS 8.0.2 and suffered the same results s I had in 8.0.1 I again made the phone calls and the Senior Advisor said that a red I-Tunes logo on the iPad indicate a "Catastrophic Failure" and made another appointment with the Genius Bar. My wife, on a Gen 2 iPad, has chosen to ignore all updates and has no problems. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Take it back to the genius bar. There's definitely something going on with your iPad Air if you experienced a catastrophic failure by updating to iOS 8.02. The 8.01 update was rescinded by Apple because it was causing problems with the iPhone 6 and 6+ but as far as I'm aware, 8.02 is OK. Let Apple sort out the problem with your Air.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.