iOS apps not Verified for Mac Air why is that?

Reaction score
newer to macs
I have multiple apps on my phone that are approved through the App Store, I bought a new Mac air and it says they are not verified on this? Why would that be? How safe is it to continue with the downloading of them? is there a program I should install before installing these to help safe guard me? if so what is is called
any and all help much appreciated and thank you in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
iOS is not macOS. Two different OS'. Applications are meant to work on iOS devices (iPhone, iPad) or macOS (Macbook Pro, iMac, Macbook Air, Macbook, Mac Mini) or tvOS (Apple TV, Apple TV 4K) or watchOS (Apple Watch).

iOS apps are optimized for touch-enabled devices and the phone and tablet form factors. watchOS apps are optimized for touch and the small square screen. macOS apps are designed for your computer which aren't touch-enabled and aren't a small screen.

What you will find is the same app that is meant to work on the different devices.

Say a browser like Chrome for example. You can download the macOS version directly from a Chrome site whereas the version of iOS is downloaded from the App Store. It's the same name, but two different apps that work differently.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Raz0rEdge Would that happen if the OP has a newer M1 Mac and is trying to run IOS apps there? My understanding is that this requires the developer to support that option.

I could be dead wrong since I haven't followed the M1 details too closely yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
@Raz0rEdge Would that happen if the OP has a newer M1 Mac and is trying to run IOS apps there? My understanding is that this requires the developer to support that option.

I could be dead wrong since I haven't followed the M1 details too closely yet.

To my understanding, from the onset of the M1 platform, iOS apps were allowed to be installed by default and developers could optionally verify that the apps were good to go for iDevices and M1 Macs, or say "no" and the apps would not be available for Mac. The developer has to explicitly DISALLOW the use, otherwise they are available and it's "user beware" unless the developer has actively verified that it's good to go. I've downloaded a handful of iOS apps to my M1 Mac and a couple work just fine, a couple don't at all. I mean, those that don't work will in fact load, but are unusable due to a complete lack of keyboard/trackpad support. In those cases, the developer simply hasn't bothered to disallow their use on Mac. So when Apple says the app hasn't been verified, they just mean it may or may not work well or even at all. It's not something that will be a risk of causing harm to the system.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There's two parts to running iOS apps on macOS and yes with the M1-based Macs, the architectural differences between the devices is no longer an issue. However, the app still has to be modified to work with the keyboard/mouse, larger screen and not rely on things it might rely on with iDevices.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There's two parts to running iOS apps on macOS and yes with the M1-based Macs, the architectural differences between the devices is no longer an issue. However, the app still has to be modified to work with the keyboard/mouse, larger screen and not rely on things it might rely on with iDevices.
That's kind of what I was getting at. If the developer hasn't made the necessary changes, would that produce the OP's error?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's kind of what I was getting at. If the developer hasn't made the necessary changes, would that produce the OP's error?

I realize I'm not Ashwin, but I can speak to this since I have an M1 Mac. The answer is "Yes", as per my prior post. The OP isn't seeing an actual error anywhere, but rather it's an FYI on the App Store when looking over iOS apps. Clicking on that takes you to a page with more information. Here's an example:

screenshot_102.png

That's a little rough to read in Dark Mode (geezus, Apple), but that is a hyperlink that when clicked, takes you to a page for more information. Here's the web version of that info page:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So, dangerous, no, functional, not always. Hopefully Nubs, that answers your questions, it clarifies a few things for me. Hopefully I will get an M1 MBP next month so I need all the info I can get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.